Help!!! Icing Won't Crust

Decorating By phoufer Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 11:03pm by phoufer

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 10

I am using sugarshacks buttercream recipe for the first time. I followed it exactly but it isn't crusting. Should I add more shortening? More ps? Please help cake is due in 3 hrs. TIA

9 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 10

I would just try adding more ps. Shortening is going to keep it soft, so adding more dry might help it crust better.

How long are you waiting to check if it's crusting? I would wait a minimum of 15 minutes.

phoufer Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 10

Should I add merengue powder?

phoufer Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks Rose. Yes I waited an hour, had to pick hubby up from work and it still wasn't even close to crusting, I will try more ps. I made a ton of it too have a 4 tier wedding cake to do tomorrow. icon_cry.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 10

Have you tried Indydeb's bc? I really like that one and it crusts very nicely. Or, if you're getting down to the wire and can't mess around with new recipes, I would just head over to Sam's and buy a bucket of their frosting. I hate having to use commercial frosting, but if you're in a pinch it will do.

phoufer Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 10

Yes I usually do use IndyDeb's but thought I would try sugarshacks this time. Guess it wasn't a good idea to try out new one when I have so many cakes due. I live in Canada and there is nowhere to buy ready made buttercream icing, so I am on my own. I added more ps and am waiting for it to set, hopefully this time it works. thanks Rose

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 10

It is my understanding that "crust or not" is determined by the shortening to powdered sugar ratio. I normally use 1 c shortening or butter to 1 pound of sugar. If you followed Sharon's recipe and it isn't crusting, you might pm or email her and see if she can help.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 10

Add a tablespoon of meringue powder as a quick fix. Sugarshack's calls specifically for hi-ratio shortening which is hard to find around me, and I had issues with her's crusting as well. I use Indy's all the time now unless I use my favorite cream cheese bc which crusts very nicely as well.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 10

I would definitely add more meringue powder. What i do if a recipe doesn't crust is decrease the fat (crisco) and up the meringue..works every time. HTH

phoufer Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:03pm
post #10 of 10

thank you everyone, I added more ps and meringue. I did use a high ratio shortening but not sweetex, we don't have that in canada.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%