Lumps In My Mmf

Decorating By sheenaevans Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 3:08pm by sheenaevans

sheenaevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheenaevans Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 6

About half of the times I'm after making MMF, I find that theres little tiny lumps of icing sugar. Is there anything that I'm doing wrong? Or something to avoid that?

I made a batch one time and had it kneaded and everything, and I threw it out because there were so many little lumps.

Thanks!

5 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 6

Some bakers swear by their fave brands of PS...I just buy what is on sale and sift before using.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 6

I find that if I overheat the marshmallows when melting them--to the watery stage--the powdered sugar clumps and cannot be saved. So I try to slowly and gently melt the marshmallows for short periods in the microwave until they're just starting to soften. Then I stir to melt them further, then microwave for 10 seconds or so and stir again. If I liquefy them, they're useless.

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 6

Sift, Sift, Sift!!!!
Before you even melt the MM sift your icing sugar out...then proceed to the above mentioned steps!

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 6

I am having the same problem. I never used to have it though before but now everytime I make it I have alot of bumps. I have to get alot of crisco in my hands and knead the fondant piece by piece before letting it cool and rest. It uses alot of crisco though but I can't get rid of all the bumps.

sheenaevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheenaevans Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 6

Thats the same thing with me! It never used to happen, but now it alwasy does.

Ill try the slowly melting idea.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%