Vinyl For Rolling Fondant

Decorating By BeeBoos-8599_ Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 11:34pm by BeeBoos-8599_

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 13

OK, so I have seen alot of you say that you use vinyl for rollinig ut your fondant then just flip it over to get the fondant onto the cake. What type of vinyl are you buying? Where do you get it? Also, I have allways noticed that the side of the fondant that is down is allways shiney. SO, when you flip the fondant over is it shiney?

12 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 13

I use a piece of vinyl that I bought at Hobby Lobby. It was about $3 for a yard, and I cut the piece in half to get two counter-sized mats. I don't flip it over the cake though because I don't like the look of the underside usually.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 13

Hey Texas Rose! It seems like I talk to you all of the time lately. What kind of vinyl? Like table cloth?

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 13

Hey Texas Rose! It seems like I talk to you all of the time lately. What kind of vinyl? Like table cloth?

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 13

Good question BeeBoos- I was wondering the same thing this weekend after I had to bleach the pink stain on my counter. The Wilton mat just doesn't seem big enough.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 13

Yup...table cloth stuff. Hobby Lobby has the giant rolls of it. There are different thicknesses of it, the one I got at Walmart was too thin.

I like how easy it makes cleaning the countertop. I've been leaving it permanently on the counter even when I'm not doing fondant.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 13

I bought my vinyl at a fabric store. It comes in big bolts near the curtain and upholstery fabric. It works perfectly for rolling out fondant, especially bigger pieces. Sometimes I use two sheets of vinyl, one on top and one underneath to make it as smooth as I can. Just lift off the top sheet, fold bottom sheet which has the fondant on it in half ( fondant side up) and center over cake, flop it on top and smooth top with my hand or fondant smoother, then lift off vinyl and continue smoothing as normal.

Hope that helps!
KimAZ

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 13

KimAZ,

I always seem to have to use powdered sugar or cornstarch when rolling my fondant even if I use the vinyl that I have. When I don't it sticks on the bottom and I can't get it off without wrecking it. I can not imagine doing the method that you use with the two pieces of vinyl. Sounds GREAT - I might have to try it. If I could only get that to work - WOW would that be wonderful!!! When using the two pieces do you still get air bubbles?

What do you use when rolling on the vinyl?

sanfree56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanfree56 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:41pm
post #9 of 13

I use the vinyl for rolloing out fondant too. I just rub some Crisco on the vinyl and haven't had any sticking problems.

sanfree56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanfree56 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 13

I use the vinyl for rolling out fondant too. I just rub some Crisco on the vinyl and haven't had any sticking problems.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:55pm
post #11 of 13

I got mine at Walmart, it is nice & thick & easy to clean.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:56am
post #12 of 13

I use the Vinyl from walmart... I got the thickest one they had.

I use the same method as KimAz . A piece on bottom and on top.

I spray the vinyl with Canola oil cooking spray, (PAM) ..
I use to just rub shortening on it but the spray is easier.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:34pm
post #13 of 13

So is the side that was on the vinyl shiney when done?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%