Yet Another Pricing Question :)

Business By aunt_dodo Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 9:55pm by __Jamie__

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 11:41pm
post #31 of 41

Tres Leches with fruit filling? Please tell me how that works! I never had a success with filling Tres Leches. Reducing soaking syrup resulted in super moist cake but took away that richness that Tres Leches has. On price issue: I tell my customers that I dont do simple cakes. All my cakes are special and made just for them. I dont do it as a business but its my hobby and I take it very serious. And all my cakes priced per serving no matter what decorations are... I know once in a while I loose a little, but when I win I win big. When I first started I made a lot of cakes for free for my hubby's work, I picked design I wanted, flavors I wanted, size I wanted to try and on the positive side - those cakes didnt go on my butt and I really enjoyed creating those special cakes. Plus when people saw them it worked as a word of the mouth.

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 11:43pm
post #32 of 41

Tres Leches with fruit filling? Please tell me how that works! I never had a success with filling Tres Leches. Reducing soaking syrup resulted in super moist cake but took away that richness that Tres Leches has. On price issue: I tell my customers that I dont do simple cakes. All my cakes are special and made just for them. I dont do it as a business but its my hobby and I take it very serious. And all my cakes priced per serving no matter what decorations are... I know once in a while I loose a little, but when I win I win big. When I first started I made a lot of cakes for free for my hubby's work, I picked design I wanted, flavors I wanted, size I wanted to try and on the positive side - those cakes didnt go on my butt and I really enjoyed creating those special cakes. Plus when people saw them it worked as a word of the mouth.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 11:44pm
post #33 of 41

You need to sit down and figure out exactly what it costs you to make the cake, filling, whatever else you are putting into it, boards, boxes... all of it. when you know what it costs you then you can figure out what to charge. icon_smile.gif

aunt_dodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt_dodo Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 10:37pm
post #34 of 41

I promised I would update with a picture....So I have attached it. We ended up doing a few different things from the original cake, but I think it turned out well.... Hope you all enjoy, The customer fell in love!
LL

aunt_dodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt_dodo Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 10:40pm
post #35 of 41

Double post....sorry...
LL

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 10:16pm
post #36 of 41

wow that is an amazing cake!...my shop is high volume, moderately priced cakes...if i had to do all the detail work you are doing...i'd charge in the 200.00 ballpark.

i LOVE that fushia color....what colors did you use to get that!

your cakes are really nice, you should be paid well.....these cakes are really hard to find.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:25pm
post #37 of 41

Great advice in this thread.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:35pm
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

The problem with low pricing isn't just that you devalue your own work, you devalue mine too. You set people up to believe that what we do is "just cake", not an art or a skill and not something worthy of paying good money for.
So you personally wouldn't pay $100 for a cake? Not even relevant.

What's relevant is what your customers will pay.

And let me remind everyone in this thread that this is the Business Forum which long ago was declared a rainbows and puppies free zone. We tell it like it is over here.

Thank you for saying this!!!!

happigolucki35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happigolucki35 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:49pm
post #39 of 41

What can the market bare? Overcharging equals no customers.

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:54pm
post #40 of 41

I couldn't care less about markets. Some would have us believe that everyone in the entire country should only be shopping at Walmart for everything because the "entire country is broke". Really? Someone forgot to tell the people I see filing into the steak houses every night, or the lady down the street who keeps getting her clothes at the boutique.

Not trying to make light of a LOT of people's situations, at all. Not my style. But frankly, a lot of us aim our biz at people with how do I say this delicately...money to burn. But we deliver a great service as well.

So which market was that again?

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:55pm
post #41 of 41

I forgot to ask you what your definition of overcharging is, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%