How Much Would You Charge For This? So Confused

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 4:42am by playingwithsugar

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:26am
post #1 of 13

It is fondont and buttercream , 2 layers, choc mousse. My husband wants me to charge 3.00 per slice which means this cake will be about 150. I think that is way too much. I was thinking more like 100 tops. I am confused and dont know what to charge. The local bakery charges 75 for a half sheet. So confused. What should I do? It is 12x18 rectangle.
LL

12 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:33am
post #2 of 13

$150.00 ... is not too much for that size cake . and all that you put on it. hth

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:44am
post #3 of 13

That's basketweave on there, kiddo. You've got to charge extra for that. Everyone around here does.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cheekygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheekygirl Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:47am
post #4 of 13

It's so hard to fiqure out what to charge when you bake cakes for a hobby. Take into consideration how much it cost to make, including the box and board, and then your labor. I also consider is everything from scratch or box. I think your in the ball park any where around $100-$150.
Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:12am
post #5 of 13

Doesn't a 12 X 18 serve 98 people?? $3 a serving would be like 300 bucks....

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:17am
post #6 of 13

a 12x18 serves 54 party slices, which is what you would use for a sheetcake as they are not as tall - now if it was double layer the slices would be 1x2 and it would have 98 servings.

MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:23am
post #7 of 13

I cant see the pic, but wilton has a 12x18 two layer at 72 servings. @ $3 per serve is $216.00!

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:23am
post #8 of 13

Really? I got 75 for that one! They thought is was too much! What is wrong with me!

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:28am
post #9 of 13

ohhhhhhh is that why people say "sheet cakes".... they are only one cake.... i see now... so then when people say they dont do sheet cakes they mean these one layer cakes huh... like not how i make 4 layers of cake cakes... i feel like busting out in song now! I can see clearly now the rain is gone.... lol

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:36am
post #10 of 13

hahahahaha - that's funny!! yeah, I'm a math/technical person so I really figured up some of this stuff when I had to know how many I needed to feed (most of my cakes are free for my kids and neices/nephews).

I have had a few paid cakes lately, some being sheetcakes, and I charge very little if it's simple decorations and such, but if you have something more complicated you definitely need to charge for it! I charged $75 for a 1/2 sheetcake which had a few fondant decorations on it, but the person I did it for knew it was a favor and is very appreciative.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:41am
post #11 of 13

Cant see the cake, but by my estimate you are around 100 servings. You are way underestimating the price here. If you go cheap it is $200 and you'll work for it!

The bakery will bake one layer and cover it with a creme frosting. They will make the same profit margin based on time and cost. It will take them about 10 minutes to decorate their cake. How long will it take you?

Now I know at some point we are all learning and we don't want to charge people for our inability while we learn. That is why you need to pay attention to what people are saying here. That's what a cake like this should cost!

Charge it. Make some money. It is a business. It is good to get paid. Do you give sad eyes to your drycleaner and haggle with them when they tell you how much it will be? If they could do it themselves they would. But they can't or won't, so get paid.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:42am
post #12 of 13

Where is the picture?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:42am
post #13 of 13

Hey, what happened? I saw the pic earlier, and now it's gone! When I clicked on it anyway, it said the pic file doesn't exist!

Boo! It was a really cool cake, dudes and dudettes, but I still say it's worth bucks because it had basketweave all the way around. I love piping basketweave, but even I would think twice before piping a half sheet with it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%