Is A (Wilton) Tilting Turn Table Worth Investing In?

Decorating By Mekenzie Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 8:25pm by kramzc

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:24pm
post #31 of 39

Why do you need a tilting turntable?

Just shove a bench scraper (the handle part too) under the cake board, and voila! the cake tilts.

singinglark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singinglark Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:35pm
post #32 of 39

I'm not sure exactly which one you are referring to, I have this one http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30CE50-475A-BAC0-54F16C7B7619ACF4&fid=3E3335FA-475A-BAC0-54335D5DEDA4217B and I love it. Not wobbly, no cake sliding (though I "paste" my cakes to the board with a little frosting)...I love it!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:07pm
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by singinglark

I'm not sure exactly which one you are referring to, I have this one http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30CE50-475A-BAC0-54F16C7B7619ACF4&fid=3E3335FA-475A-BAC0-54335D5DEDA4217B and I love it. Not wobbly, no cake sliding (though I "paste" my cakes to the board with a little frosting)...I love it!

Perhaps the disparity in opinions comes from the level of decorating?

I do high volume and use heavy-duty, professional grade equipment. For me, this turntable just does NOT work. If isn't level, it's a pain to adjust, and cakes often slide off of it. I did have to use mine the other day because I couldn't locate my regular turntable (the kids washed it and put it in the kitchen cabinet instead of where it belongs) - and I wanted to chuck it in the trash several times.

Maybe it might work for someone who doesn't decorate often, or has a lot of patience. I'm often short on time and patience and I cannot endorse this piece of *@#% - especially not for the price. If I want to tilt my cakes, I use styrofoam wedges.

MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:30pm
post #34 of 39

I have the one in Singinglarks link as well as the one with the green on the bottom. I bought the tilt one when I was taking classes so I could use it in class - never did cuz I tried it at home and the cake was slipping off when it was tilted. Haven't used it since, stays on top of the cabinet while I use the green bottom one EVERY TIME I do a cake. Also, it is very wobbly as mentioned and the top will pop right off-- that is the way I got it out of the box! Maybe I will get around to listing it on ebay to get it out of my way.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:49pm
post #35 of 39

don't buy it (not even with a 50% off coupon)! just returned mine the other day. isn't level and skids when it turns. i wouldn't buy a tilting turntable...like the other ladies said, wedge or scraper works fine! i'm using the cheaper green rimmed turntable that doesn't tilt, but it does lock. it gets the job done.

Mel2085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel2085 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:58pm
post #36 of 39

I have one and LOVE it! I have never had a problem with it! I have had a triple layer 12x12 square cake on it and it had no problem at all!! I don't know what I would do without mine! It is great for basket weave and for piping on top of the cake with the tilt! I only got mine because I had a 50% off coupon!! But I would get one!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:34am
post #37 of 39

I spent one and a half hours basketweaving the blue cake in my photos. I had the table tilted to save my back. I was holding the turntable, pushed the button to level it out, and it lurched and dumped the cake! Had to start all over. I use it level, but will never tilt it again. I have a great wooden turntable we got as a wedding gift. I have raised it up on books or whatever, and it does great too!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:58am
post #38 of 39

I hate it, i'm going to sell mine on ebay, what a disappointment, and expensive.

kramzc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kramzc Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:25pm
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

If you want to waste your money, buy mine from me! LOL!

Want to buy your stand if still available.

[email protected]

Thanks

K

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%