What Do You Charge For Delivery?

Business By madras650 Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 6:15pm by leah_s

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 10

I have never had to deliver a cake to far from where I live so I do it for $30 bucks. No big deal for me, all deliveries have been local. Now I have a cake to deliver 50 miles, about a 1 hour drive. What is fair?

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 10

I charge $1.25 per ROUND TRIP MILE. This has to cover your time in the van (so you're looking at about a 2 hour drive), gas, commercial insurance on the delivery van, interest on the loan that enabled you to purchase this piece of business equipment needed to be able to offer this delivery service, wear and tear on tires and on the van itself, decreased value on the van as you add more than normal miles to it, lost opportunity costs (because when you're in the van, you're NOT making/selling a cake). And so on and so on and so on.

So for a 50 mile one way trip, the delivery fee would be $125. Yes, they CAN avoid paying it .... by driving the 100 miles themselves to pick it up.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 10

I charge $30 local, then it goes up if it's going to take me more than about 45 minutes round trip time.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 10

I don't go by mileage, because some places might be 10 miles away but take longer to arrive at than one 30 miles away - depending upon the route and speed limits. Instead, I calculate the drive TIME on MapQuest and charge $50/hr. ROUND TRIP, which accounts for my time, the gas, the wear and tear on my vehicle, etc.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:03am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

I don't go by mileage, because some places might be 10 miles away but take longer to arrive at than one 30 miles away - depending upon the route and speed limits. Instead, I calculate the drive TIME on MapQuest and charge $50/hr. ROUND TRIP, which accounts for my time, the gas, the wear and tear on my vehicle, etc.

That's true and I actually do a combination. A 15 mile trip that mapquest says will take 27 minutes gets charged based on 27 miles/minutes (I assume 60mph = a mile a minute for guestimating). straight highway gets charged less than back roads thru the boonies.

Mostly it depends on what mood I'm in at the time! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:04am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

That's true and I actually do a combination. A 15 mile trip that mapquest says will take 27 minutes gets charged based on 27 miles/minutes (I assume 60mph = a mile a minute for guestimating). straight highway gets charged less than back roads thru the boonies.

Ha ha, my mood also figures into my calculations! icon_rolleyes.gif

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:11am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Ha ha, my mood also figures into my calculations! icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_eek.gif

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:24am
post #8 of 10

This is a break down of my delivery charges. I go by mileage just because it is easier. I do state there may be an additional charge for Friday afternoon deliveries. A 2 round trip to downtown on Friday can take over 6 hours in traffic. I am going to charge more.

0-10   $20.00
10-15  $40.00
15-20  $50.00
20-25  $65.00
25-30  $75.00
30-35  $100.00
35-40  $125.00
40-45  $150.00
45-50  $175.00
50-60  $200.00

60+  negotiable

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 10

I have only charged delivery once and I charged $1 each way (it was a 25 mile drive, so I charged $50). I guess looking at the other posts, I didn't charge enough icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 10

My minimum is $50, except to the two venues that are literally within 1 block of my place. Then it's $40. I sometimes go closer to $80 if the cake is big and the distance is long. For me a long distance is 30 miles. I just don't deliver further than that. But I'm in a big city.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%