My First Disaster...

Decorating By Tweets350 Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 3:18am by AmyCakes2

Tweets350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweets350 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:53am
post #1 of 6

Last year, a coworker of mine asked me to do her wedding cake for her. Of course, I was more than delighted to do it as a gift to her. The bride told me that her wedding was at a place called The Dalles Ranch, only about 25 miles from my home. NO PROBLEM, RIGHT??? Well, the day before the wedding, I called the Ranch to verify directions. She said that the ONLY thing I had to worry about were three bumps in the road, about a mile from the Ranch. Yeah, sure..... The first issue I had that day? The A/C went out in my Explorer, and it was 90+ degrees outside. The second? over 3/4 of the road out to the Ranch was WASHBOARDED dirt/gravel, one lane wide basically! So I'm rattling/driving along, and stressing out. I pull over to check on the cake, and the icing is melting off of the cake icon_sad.gif Not much I can do in the middle of a one lane dirt road, so I continue on to the Ranch. Once I get there, I realize that almost ALL of the icing has slid off of her four tier wedding cake! The ribbon border had come off, and was buried under piles of frosting. By this point, I am almost in tears, but manage to hold it together. After just icing the cake in a basic smooth buttercream finish, the bride saw it and exclaimed that it was PERFECT!!! Thank the Good Lord for that! But needless to say, I did have a lengthy discussion with the owner of the ranch and told her that for future reference, it would be wise to explain to future delivery people of any food kinds, that the road was almost all dirt/gravel and washboarded! She aploogized greatly, but from what I understand, there have been other people complain to her about the same thing... Sad, but at least my bride was happy with the reconstruction of her cake! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:06am
post #2 of 6

YOu are such a professional, cause I definetly would not like the surprise of a bumpy road!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:11am
post #3 of 6

I am so happy things worked out for you. What a nightmare!

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:16am
post #4 of 6

Glad things worked out! I had a disaster today, too, but fortunately, it was a smaller cake - not a wedding cake!
However, I tripped going into a reception hall once - let go of the base cuz I knew we were both going down....ticked me off! Fortunately, it just slid a little bit.
It's just so much nicer when these cakes cooperate!!! icon_wink.gif

AmyCakes2 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:17am
post #5 of 6

Glad things worked out! I had a disaster today, too, but fortunately, it was a smaller cake - not a wedding cake!
However, I tripped going into a reception hall once - let go of the base cuz I knew we were both going down....ticked me off! Fortunately, it just slid a little bit.

AmyCakes2 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:18am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%