Help! Fondant Repair!!!

Decorating By tripletmom Updated 22 Aug 2005 , 5:59pm by thecakemaker

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 6

Hi!

Little emergency here. I made a cake to submit to the fair, worked on it until 5 am! It was sitting on the counter in what I thought was an out of reach place...I should have known better! One of the girls climbed onto something and dug her fingers into the back of the cake. The cake is completely covered in fondant and i don't know how to repair it! It looks just awful!!!

Help anyone?!?!?!?

5 replies
melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 6

i am so sorry! also not good news on the repair. fondant is very unforgiving and any repairs you make will show!!! no matter what i tried i couldnt get the repair piece to blend in....and i tried over and over .
had a similar experience with my fair entry this year...i just cried.
good luck
melody

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 6

I'm sorry to say that I haven't had any luck repairing fondant either. They say to "rub it until the seam blends smooth" but that's never worked for me. Can you cover it with something?

I'm hoping that when I get home my 3 fair cakes are ok for delivery tonite! My cat usually isn't a problem with getting on the counters - I hope he doesn't decide to start today!

Good Luck to you!
Debbie

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 6

Can you do some sort of cut-out shpaes or some flowers and cover the finger marks so it looks like an intended side design? Or, will a dress bow with the trailing ends covering the finger marks work with your design?

What is the design of your cake?

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 6

It's a scarecrow sitting on a patch of grass surrounded by pumpkins, corn and apples. I may have to make the cake look like it has patches like he does on his pants.

icon_cry.gif I worked so hard on it!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Well, at least my little one seemed to enjoy it! icon_confused.gif C'est la vie!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 6

Maybe you could make "straw" tumbling down the back to cover it?

Deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%