Fondant Flowers Flopped!

Decorating By ERdocmom Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 1:18pm by navyman

ERdocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ERdocmom Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:45am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! I recently made a big batch of fondant flowers (very thin) and let them dry in the flower former (plastic thing) to dry. Everything looked great and I put them on SMBC frosted cupcakes the night before to save time. Well, in the morning the flowers softened and thus lost their shape and just sagged :< . It was quite humid out, but I kept them in a cool place. To avoid this happening again, I'm trying to figure out what the problem was.......would gumpaste "sag"? was it because it went on SMBC? Thanks for anyone who knows!!!!!

4 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 5

Do a 50-50 mix of GP and fondant next time. That should help them to keep their shape more.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 5

found this out the hardway too. do put fondant flowers on buttercream and seal it in a tightly sealed container, the moisture in the buttercream goes into the flowers and they become limp. we dry all our fondant flowers so they are set and then put them on when decorating. no airtight containers or refrigeration for straight fondant, don't know about the half gumpaste half fondant flowers. I use plastic cake containers at school sometimes when we do cakes and i make sure i put a small slit in the top to let out the moisture so the flowers won't sag.
LL

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:32am
post #4 of 5

As Hammer said if you closed it up in an airtight container the fondant or gumpaste will absorb the moisture from the icing. I have had this happen with gumpaste flowers that were dried for weeks myself. Lesson learned the hard way.

navyman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navyman Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 5

I made a serious mistake by putting the (5) completed cakes in the cooler for the night. I had made tulips with fondant on stems, let them dry over the 1st night, but instead of waiting till the delivery (3rd) day to put them on the cake, I put them on the cake and into the cooler over the 2nd night. When I got in the next morning they didn't look much like tulips anymore. Being in Texas and 102 degrees I didn't want the cakes to sit out. Since I got in early that morning, I had time to recover.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%