Don't Leave Cake Uncovered

Decorating By sunshine_n_pc Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 4:13am by madgeowens

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:41pm
post #91 of 103

K8 you really are an angel and I agree with you 100%. OP did what she had to do for her NEW daughter. IF that had been me and my child I probably would have cut on that baby and fixed it right up as she did to spare her child's broken heart. I'm sure that little girl was very touched when she watched her NEW mom fix it just for her. Her guest had a choice, they didn't have to eat it. She never lied to any of them. Personally, I think OP is an angel herself. She didn't ask anyone here to eat it, just tried to share her story with all of us.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:35pm
post #92 of 103

The Mythbusters TV show tested which had a germier mouth -- dogs or people. The host put his tongue on a petri dish, and they put a dog's tongue on a petri dish. The human mouth was germier.

There was a recent research study that looked at whether pet owners who slept with their animals and allowed the animals to lick them had higher rates of infection with certain bacteria that pet owners who did not indulge in these practices. There was no difference.

The majority of germs that pets carry in their moths cannot be transmitted from one species to another. Petting an animal and then not washing your hands would be worse than eating something an indoor pet had chewed on.

From a purely scientific standpoint, if the cake was brushed by the animal's body, that would render it a risk, but eating a portion of the cake untouched by the pet or its mouth would be no more dangerous than if a human being (for example, a curious child) had eaten part of the cake and you ate a slice from the other side.

Would I ever personally serve the cake? No. But if the guests were informed of the pet incident, and chose to eat the cake anyway, it was their business. And actual hygenic risks were likely exceedingly low.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:17pm
post #93 of 103

Lets move on and stop acting high school........ok? Lets use this time to make comments on peoples cakes instead of using time being snarky in here....not constructive.....thank you

CAKESABC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESABC Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 7:25pm
post #94 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Lets move on and stop acting high school........ok? Lets use this time to make comments on peoples cakes instead of using time being snarky in here....not constructive.....thank you

Agree with you 100%.

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:36pm
post #95 of 103

I'm surprised a moderator hasn't locked this thread yet tbh. Wish they would.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:21am
post #96 of 103

I can't believe that some of you are actually arguing over this. You have a person who came on here and the first post is about one of the biggest controversies that is on this site and then disappears and doesn't even have any other pictures or comments or post except for this and you are all fighting for real? Ok seriously why fall for this? It has happened so many times before and we find out the story is false. Anyone remember the cake that they colored with photoshop and had a whole story about it and everyone followed it for like three days before we figured out that is was a fake and the cake was on another site? Come on people let this go. If she wanted to serve cake to her loved ones that had cat hair and spit all over it then that is fine by me. This is going way to far and have you noticed that you are still talking about it and she is gone?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:41am
post #97 of 103

thumbs_up.gif Karema.............totally agree with you!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:47am
post #98 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

I can't believe that some of you are actually arguing over this. You have a person who came on here and the first post is about one of the biggest controversies that is on this site and then disappears and doesn't even have any other pictures or comments or post except for this and you are all fighting for real? Ok seriously why fall for this? It has happened so many times before and we find out the story is false. Anyone remember the cake that they colored with photoshop and had a whole story about it and everyone followed it for like three days before we figured out that is was a fake and the cake was on another site? Come on people let this go. If she wanted to serve cake to her loved ones that had cat hair and spit all over it then that is fine by me. This is going way to far and have you noticed that you are still talking about it and she is gone?

Doh! You nailed it! Lol...never even thought about this. icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:54am
post #99 of 103

i'm beginning to think this might be a hoax as well b/c i private messaged the OP telling her to "not let all the fighting get her down" and to "feel free to ask questions again" etc. i haven't heard back from her so who knows?

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:31am
post #100 of 103

Hope my remarks were not seen as "snarky" -- I sure didn't mean to come off that way! icon_biggrin.gif

Just wanted to toss out the science, (since that aspect had not been covered) and wanted to reassure the OP, in case the other comments had made her worry if she had done something bad to her guests.

Don't worry; be happy, everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:11am
post #101 of 103

oops

madgeowens Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:12am
post #102 of 103

oops

madgeowens Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:13am
post #103 of 103

endy you are not snarky....but I have to laugh at your post about the human mouth germier than a dogs mouth.....my argument would be people don't lick their own butts hahahah......kills that theory I believe.....yes this is a post about nothing by now

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%