Don't Leave Cake Uncovered

Decorating By sunshine_n_pc Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 4:13am by madgeowens

sunshine_n_pc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunshine_n_pc Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 103

I made this cake (pic 1) for my daughter's 6th birthday - we just adopted her and her 2 siblings in May - I wanted to make this birthday special. I wouldn't tell her what I was making - made her keep guessing. I finished the cake last night about 1 a.m. I left the cake out on the kitchen table to surprise her this morning. It was more of a surprise than I wanted. I was sick when I saw the cake - I think the cat got it - there was one dog out and I don't think he would have stopped eating if he had started.

This was the first big cake I had made - first time to tier, first time to use ganache, and first time to make my own fondant. It took my at least 16 hours plus way too much money. At first I thought we would just go to Sam's and buy one - but, after she stopped crying and I stopped whining - I made some pink icing, turned the cake around and it came out ok - she was happy at least (pic 3). I am so glad I took pictures last night. I printed some out and had them at the party to show what it should have looked like. This cake business is stressful - reminded me to keep my day job icon_smile.gif
LL
LL
LL

102 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:10am
post #2 of 103

So sorry this happened. Did you still serve the cake at the party? I'm not sure what to make of this one. icon_confused.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:23am
post #3 of 103

Oh My I am so sorry that is a really pretty cake You did a great job

Molly

linda2530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linda2530 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:25am
post #4 of 103

Been right there with ya! Was loading a wedding cake for a Easter wedding and it started to rain, I left the door open on the SUV with 3 pieces of the cake in it. Came in and was making a comment about the weather to the family when I had this thought....where is the dog? As I thought it, I knew the answer, yep there he was in the back with a little over half of a 8 inch tier down his toothy throat. Thank goodness it was Easter and I was baking Easter basket cakes and had several 8 baked! Once I was unloading a wedding cake at a house and I ask the lady did she have pets, since I only had two hands and no one to help me close the hatch she assured me that she did not and the car would be fine open, wrong, she had a cat and when I came out he had walked all over the grooms cake. They thought it was funny, I did not. Yes they served the cake. UGH. Any way I bet we all have some pretty good stories to tell about things like this.
Linda

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:30am
post #5 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

So sorry this happened. Did you still serve the cake at the party? I'm not sure what to make of this one. icon_confused.gif

I dunno, it's a good icing job, but looks like that cake was for more than you and your daughter.....who else ate it? And I for one would feel much more comfortable and be laughing right along with ya, if you hadn't mentioned the word business in the story. icon_eek.gif

nowi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nowi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:32am
post #6 of 103

i know how you felt. this nearly happened to me. it was the night before my son's baptism and just finished his cakes. There was a cat who always seemed to have ways of entering the party venue (we rented a place for the party and decided to ice the cake in that place to reduce hassles of transporting the cakes). This place is at least 15 driving minutes away from our house.The cakes were bigger than the fridge so we had to let it stand on top of the dessert table. This cat would always run near the cakes so what we did was to close all windows and doors or any holes where the cat could possibly get into. I was really worried abt the cat destroying these cakes that I barely slept that night. I was relieved the ff day when I saw the cakes untouched.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:41am
post #7 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I dunno, it's a good icing job, but looks like that cake was for more than you and your daughter.....who else ate it? And I for one would feel much more comfortable and be laughing right along with ya, if you hadn't mentioned the word business in the story. icon_eek.gif

I don't think she meant she's running it as a professional business. I think it was more colloquial than that. Also, it appears that she definitely cut off the bits that had been chewed on, at least!

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:49am
post #8 of 103

Yeah....sometimes it's like TMI. Too much information! Ummm, something fell on it! Yeah! A big pile o' books fell right on my cake! Aaaagghh! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

sunshine_n_pc Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:51am
post #9 of 103

not in business - just saying, if I ever did think about it, I don't think I could do it - too stressful

Cake was for family and friends - way more cake than we needed - it just seemed to grow as I was doing it. I ended up cutting about a 1/3 of the cake off and then just turned it to the back. Cat just ate on the front - no one turned down cake or seemed squimish. Guess some people might have had issues with it.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:51am
post #10 of 103
Quote:
Quote:

I am so glad I took pictures last night. I printed some out and had them at the party to show what it should have looked like.

So let me get this right you made a cake and the cake ate half of it and you cut that part off and re-iced it and served it at a party. Then you had pics to show the guest what it looked like before the cat got to it? Ok I don't just people but that is just wrong. Who would serve a cake that a cat had licked all over and ate. Ok I hope this isnt another one of those threads to start trouble and a big debate about pets because have done this already and it's getting quite old.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:54am
post #11 of 103

Well I have a dog but he's NEVER in the home, not allowed. But I do have a little boy 18 mon old. And I think he's probably worse than your cat & dog put together. He will climb on what ever he can to reach the cake and when he does he sticks his big fat fingers in mommy's cake, he's done this so many times you just wouldn't believe it when you see him. He's actually the one on my avatar. That smile get's me though, he always hugs and kisses me when he does that too......I still do get mad though.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:02am
post #12 of 103

I have a dog that never comes in the house, and four boys that get gated out of the kitchen when I work...and several refrigerators with locks that store finished cakes in until pickup or delivery.

I've learned the hard way what happens if cakes aren't locked up from little fingers!

Anyway yeah I have to admit that sounds kinda gross with the cat story....I prolly would have displayed the cake, yucky part towards the back...and served Sam's Club cake at my party. haha. Sorry all your work got ruined. Ugh. That's so frustrating.

sunshine_n_pc Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:30am
post #13 of 103

"So let me get this right you made a cake and the cake ate half of it and you cut that part off and re-iced it and served it at a party. Then you had pics to show the guest what it looked like before the cat got to it? "

Yep, that is basically what I did. We all laughed and had a grand time. Just sharing an experience - didn't ask for opinions or to get slammed. I wouldn't have sold the cake or even given it to someone if I was making it for them. Just a family birthday party! What a welcome I am being given on my first post. Thanks for making me feel welcome (dripping with sarcasm).

And, no this wasn't meant to start anything. In fact, if you have something negative to say about how gross this is, do me and everyone else a favor and just don't say it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #14 of 103

I think it's funny icon_biggrin.gif I remember when I had a cat, he was a family member (although he was the only family member who could lick his own nuts LOL). My family would definitely not have had a problem eating a cake that the cat had gotten to.

When I was working on my daughter's first birthday cake, I was sitting at the table turning the cake on my turntable and I couldn't figure out why there was a groove appearing in it as I spun it around. I was only focusing on what I was working on...but when I looked up, my daughter had climbed up on the table and was laying on her belly with her tongue out licking a groove in the cake as I turned it around. I still served that one...it was just the grandparents and aunts and uncles and us, and I told everyone what Sophia had done to her cake and they all laughed as they ate it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #15 of 103

You are welcome here on CC..........but you have to understand that by posting, you are inviting every member of the community to comment on that post--both negatives & positives.

As much as you have the right to post something, every other member has the same right to pass judgement on what you have to say, what you have done, etc.

This isn't a community where everyone makes nice all of the time. Many members won't take others to task for certain practices..........but some of us will speak up.

Sometimes it's just hard to find out that what you thought was funny & OK was actually quite offensive to many others............ icon_redface.gif

Rae

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:00am
post #16 of 103

That was one hungry cat.. I didn't think a cat could do that much damage..

charlene008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlene008 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:17am
post #17 of 103

I think its funny really! I left a cake out one night (some years ago), was going to give it to a friend for her birthday. My son woke me up the following morning telling me "I like Ms. Janice's cake mommy". I thought he had just SEEN it till I opened my eyes and he had chocolate all over his face. The cake looked like swiss cheese from where his fingers had gone into it! Ms Janice got a kick out of it and loved the spots with all the extra frosting!

I think it is great that we all have these experiences and can share them in a place for others! Thank you for sharing your story and your cake looked great and I would have definitly had a piece of it myself!! The story makes it only the better!

varika Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:31am
post #18 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

As much as you have the right to post something, every other member has the same right to pass judgement on what you have to say, what you have done, etc.

To be fair, Rae, it's also a little hyppocritical to post a negative comment and end your post with, "I hope this doesn't turn into one of those threads where it all goes down the drain in a hurry." I mean, if someone's stated objective is "not starting trouble," then maybe they shouldn't post it. Then the trouble won't start.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:58am
post #19 of 103

Well, I guess everyone has to practice some self-editing, sometimes.

I don't know if I consider that hypocrisy as much as an observation about what can happen quickly on public boards when people make controversial posts.

I try to go back to the source--where did the trouble start, who started the fire vs. who threw the gas on it. If no one starts a fire, then there's nothing for anyone to fan.

In this case, the OP posted something that (I think) she had to know some people would find abhorent. Her premise seems to be that if someone doesn't like the way she handled the situation, then they should keep quiet and move on--a completely unreasonable assumption when posting on a forum like CC.

Many people seem to take silence as tacit agreement with what they've said or done.

It disheartens me that so many people have already gladly posted that they're just fine with what was done with the cake. So, to me, it's even more important that those who disagree with it aren't scared away from posting for fear of upsetting others.

Rae

Karema Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:19am
post #20 of 103

Just like you can post whatever you want I can respond any way I choose. I personally find it nasty and I'm highly allergic to cats and would have ended up in the hospital. I do find the stories funny of the children that have gotten in the cakes and I find if funny that the cat got into the cake. I just find it nasty that you would cut off the bitten part and serve it to your guest and that is what I said and that is how I still feel. That cat could have licked all over the cake. What is even more strange is that you would tell your guest like it's a funny ha ha "I'm serving you cake that my cat ate first!" LOL

The reason why I said I hope this isn't another one of those post about pets is because in the past people have posted about their pets eating the cake and then turn around and eat it. They were flamed and it all got out of hand. I was just stating that I hoped this wasnt one of those. I personally think the story was funny but I don't think I would have served it or even told anyone I served it especially not my guest!

varika Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:23am
post #21 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

In this case, the OP posted something that (I think) she had to know some people would find abhorent. Her premise seems to be that if someone doesn't like the way she handled the situation, then they should keep quiet and move on--a completely unreasonable assumption when posting on a forum like CC.

I'm one of those who is just fine with what she did with the cake--and I don't see where you think she "had" to know people would find it abhorrent when, as she says, no one who ACTUALLY ATE THE CAKE apparently did. Nor do I find it unreasonable to expect other people to keep their noses out of what I do in my house for my family, when they're not even part of it.

The cat did not lick the whole cake. It's not that no cat has ever licked an entire cake; it's that it is VERY VISIBLE when an animal has licked an area, because they're trying to get food in their mouths, not hide what they've done. So, the hostess cut off the portion of the cake that was contaminated, and from the looks of the pictures, a fair chunk more, just to be safe.

The only reason anyone is screaming about it being any different from, say, repairing a wedding cake that has a finger mark in it from an exploratory child (or adult!) or being dinged by an elbow in setup, is that there is an "animal" involved. Well, people are animals too, and you don't know where that finger has been or what that elbow has on it. Sure, the baker does laundry--and chlorine from bleach is poisonous. Sure, the baker washes their hands--but the kid or adult that poked the finger in probably doesn't...and may well have just been picking their nose or sucking on that finger.

People need to have some common sense when they read these things. Or maybe our biology classes need to be more extensive, because the only thing I can think of that's charitable is that people just don't know that bacteria need certain environments and a certain ammount of time to multiply and actually become a problem--and cutting off a third of the cake for a corner gnosh on the bottom, and half for about a quarter gone is taking away more than enough to handle any expansion the bacteria might have gotten to.

She was also open and honest with the partygoers, so anyone at the party who WAS bothered by it had the opportunity to refuse to eat the cake, so it's not like she snuck it in somehow, either. So I don't see why, if the people who were THERE were okay with it, someone a couple hundred miles away, sitting behind an anonymous keyboard, feels like they have the right to pass judgment on what happened.

You're free to feel disheartened, of course. That's not the part I found hypocritical of the poster we're both referring to. If she hadn't made the comment about hoping no drama would start, I wouldn't even have responded to your oringal post at all, because most of it was right.

I just stand by my opinion that it's hypocritical to post FUSSING that this is going to start drama, when one should durned well know that one's fussing is GOING to start the drama one is fussing about.

varika Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:31am
post #22 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

I personally find it nasty and I'm highly allergic to cats and would have ended up in the hospital.

Forgive me, but...if you're that higly allergic to cats, that eating a cake that had NO remaining cat spit on it would put you in the hospital, would not being in the same house as the cat ALSO put you in the hospital?

I'm not trying to make light of your allergy. I have an uncle who is deathly allergic to cats. He never comes further into the house than right by the door, and doesn't eat anything prepared in our home, either, and we're perfectly okay with that. So I guess I just expect that ANYONE who is deathly allergic to a cat would behave in a similar fashion and thus was not a concern at that party.

And finally, a tip for the OP: next time you need to leave a cake on the counter, make a tent of tin foil, larger than the cake by a bit. Tuck the ends under the cake board and tape the joins between the foil pieces. The cat will most likely give up before it gets to the cake, even if it smells the cake.

...also, is it possible that it was not animal activity that got at the cake, but child hands? Or husband hands? Because that IS a fair ammount for a cat to have chewed off.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:38am
post #23 of 103

Why does this have to turn into an argument? I think we all need to remember that EVERYONE has a RIGHT to post their opinion whether you agree with it or not.

Pets and food do not mix. My HD wouldn't have licensed me if he saw my cat on the counter or even in my kitchen. That's a fact.

Many of us have animals I think the lesson here is to have a "safe" room in your home where you can store your finished cakes.....preferably with a door and a lock. But, you know that now.

Sorry you had to learn this lesson the hard way after putting so much work into the cake. That stinks.

Oh and welcome to CC, we really are a nice group for the most part it just seems that PMS is rampant the past couple of days........especially if someone disagrees with the OP......as we have. icon_rolleyes.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:38am
post #24 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_n_pc

I made this cake (pic 1) for my daughter's 6th birthday - we just adopted her and her 2 siblings in May - I wanted to make this birthday special. ...icon_smile.gif

I think you're an angel disguised as a mild mannered cake decorator.

rlc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlc23 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:39am
post #25 of 103

I feel your pain... I apparently have a cat who is so into cake that he will eat through, and including, plastic wrap to get to a freshly baked cake. I learned the hard way during graduation cake season.. when I woke up to two of my baked, but thankfully not yet decorated, cakes missing chunks. Who knew a cat could eat so much cake?

rlc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlc23 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:40am
post #26 of 103

I feel your pain... I apparently have a cat who is so into cake that he will eat through, and including, plastic wrap to get to a freshly baked cake. I learned the hard way during graduation cake season.. when I woke up to two of my baked, but thankfully not yet decorated, cakes missing chunks. Who knew a cat could eat so much cake?

Karema Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:40am
post #27 of 103

I'm only allergic to cats because I have asthma and it flares up. So I can touch a cat but I have to wash my hands right away or use benedryl. And the reason why I responded the way I did because:
1. that looks like a lot of cake missing just for a cat taking a few bites.
2 She mentioned that she used ganache and I know that pets usually get sick if they eat too much and she didnt mention anything else about the cat
3. I just found the whole story strange

You all can't honestly tell me that you can't remember that someone on this site has created identities to write stories they knew were controversal and had everyone on here arguing all to find out the story was fake just to start trouble. That is why I said I hope it's not one of those again. And a lot of the times the dead give away was that they were newbies.

I am in no way saying that the OP is one of those I'm just saying that it has happened in the past. Just pointing out a fact.

Bel_Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bel_Anne Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:40am
post #28 of 103

Oh look - a cat fight! Get it? Hilarious, I know................

Lovely cake (before the kitty got to it). I wouldn't worry about any negative criticism you get from your post, sunshine. Some people just have a bee in their bonnet about everything. I've literally seen people PASH their pets (to my horror). A little saliva doesn't bother them... haha. I wouldn't do it, but to each their own.

And at least your daughter was smiling at the end.....

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:42am
post #29 of 103

My cat loves cake boxes --loves a good box--so when I make them I put them up in a closet that I can keep the door closed on.

__Jamie__ Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:53am
post #30 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_n_pc

I made this cake (pic 1) for my daughter's 6th birthday - we just adopted her and her 2 siblings in May - I wanted to make this birthday special. ...icon_smile.gif

I think you're an angel disguised as a mild mannered cake decorator.

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Awwww Kate....thanks for the guilt trip! Lol! Just kidding. Yes, sheesh. I didn't even read that part. Bless you for that! But the cat thing...hee hee. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%