Help! I Need A Math Wizard Asap!!

Decorating By PennySue Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 2:18am by Kitagrl

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 11

Please help me with this. Circumference is 39 1/2" I have 3/4 " fondant stripes to put on. What is the spacing between each stripe???? I have never, ever been good at math. Numbers don't seem to make much sense to me (and I used to work for Disney getting money into theater accounts so they could get their movies on time. Ha Ha!) Anyway, if you can help me I'd really appreciate it!! Thank you, thank you!

10 replies
PennySue Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 11

Any one, please. I'm not kidding, I just can't figure this out!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 11

I never measure... I make a "T" and then fill in the quadrants. They don't have to be 100% perfectly spaced, but dividing it into 4 smaller areas makes it easier to visualize by eye.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 11

I might be able to help you but I need some more information. How many stripes do you want to put on the cake? What is the diameter of the cake (8", 9", etc)?

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 11

I also don't quite understand how you want to place the stripes. I am very good at math but need more information. If you divide the 39 1/2 inch circumference with the 3/4" stripe, you could put 52 1/3 stripes on the cake (with no spaces). How much spacing do you want between each stripe if any?

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 11

I am a math person, but I would still do this physically. Cut a pieces of paper 39 1/2 inches long. Cut some 3/4 inch strips and start spacing. Start with a strip and end with a space. It'll take ten minutes and you'll have a template for the cake.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:39pm
post #7 of 11

First of all, is the cirumference you are providing including a fully frosted and/ or fondant covered cake? If not, I would add an additional 1/2" to allow for that.

If that is the case (assuming new circumference is 40"), you could do twenty-six 3/4" strips with twenty-seven 3/4" spaces between them. This adds up to a 39.75" circumference. Since there is a 0.25" difference, so you would have to allow for this so that you don't end up with one wider space.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:41pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

I never measure... I make a "T" and then fill in the quadrants. They don't have to be 100% perfectly spaced, but dividing it into 4 smaller areas makes it easier to visualize by eye.

I'm with this one. I view it as a clock. Start with 12/3/6/9, then start filling in the spaces.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLisa

I also don't quite understand how you want to place the stripes. I am very good at math but need more information. If you divide the 39 1/2 inch circumference with the 3/4" stripe, you could put 52 1/3 stripes on the cake (with no spaces). How much spacing do you want between each stripe if any?

That is the same answer I came up with. It is also the same question I had....how many stripes/spaces do you want to put on the cake?

PennySue Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:10am
post #10 of 11

You all are wonderful! My DH, who is the resident math wiz came home and figured it out for me in less than 30 seconds. So to answer all the questions, it is a 12" fondant covered cake. The stripes are 3/4" wide going up vertically. The spacing is also 3/4" and it came out perfect. Again, thank you all for coming to my rescue! DH got home before I checked back and we got going on it and finished it. Now for the 8"! Thank you all again and again!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:18am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

I'm with this one. I view it as a clock. Start with 12/3/6/9, then start filling in the spaces.

Me too. Actually I think when I measure, I actually do worse. haha.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%