Decorating By forthwife Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 5:02pm by ninatat

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:22pm
post #61 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthwife

Ok, back to icing. I'm still not clear how IMBC or SMBC doesn't spoil at room temp (Salmonella aside the whites being cooked are apparently a topic on their own). Obviously it wouldn't happen immediately, but I can't imagine leaving it out overnight (or for 2-3 days as some have said in this thread) is safe in any way shape or form.

Bacteria need a certain amount of water to reproduce. The sugar locks up available water enough to significantly slow the process of spoiling. Obviously, other facters also affect it, like heat, but if you start out killing off the bacteria in the food, and then lock up most of the available water, then the bacteria will have a much more difficult time working on that.

Using meringue-based buttercream and then covering it with fondant pretty much locks out the bacteria to the point where it will be several days before spoilage is an issue.

It's just science.

I am focusing on the "other factors like heat". I live in Florida. My whole reason in starting this thread is because I'd like to have icing that doesn't have to be refrigerated that isn't shortening based. We obviously have EXCESSIVE heat. So how long can it be left out? I use fondant and it gets SOOOO shiney and SOOOO sticky I don't like the look of it. Just hoping there is a solution.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:41pm
post #62 of 64

Honestly, the only thing I can think of to recommend is turning up the AC. That's not so much a spoilage factor as it is a melting factor. Meringue-based buttercreams are TERRIBLE for that, because butter has SUCH a low melting point. The fondant, from what I understand, is probably getting shiny and sticky because of the humidity, which is starting to mix with the sugar and melt the fondant.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:49pm
post #63 of 64

I say the same thing...crank up the AC..but know that still it will get a bit soft.
Edna icon_smile.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:02pm
post #64 of 64

only 10oz of sugar? i'd love to find a frosting that is not so sweet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%