How Stable Is Mousse And...

Decorating By bizatchgirl Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 1:16am by bizatchgirl

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 14

Two questions.

Have to make 2 cakes that are going to require a bit of decorating time. Plus they're going to sit on the decorated table at a baby shower, so lots of non-refrigeration time there too. Are mousses made with heavy cream stable enough to take all this non-refrigeration time? If they're not, what do you usually use instead of a true mousse?

OK, number two...I have to make two cube shaped cakes (baby blocks) each to serve about 40 people. What dimensions should each block be?

Have a terrible head cold and the math here is just eluding me...

Thanks

13 replies
holly4409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holly4409 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 14

i recently did the math for baby blocks because that was the original plan for a recent baby shower cake. i didn't have a cold and the math made my brain hurt so i can understand...

the size of the blocks depends on how many servings. i was going to do 6x6x6 blocks and that would have gotten 18 2x2x3 inch party servings. unless you cut it different. my plan had been half a sheet with wilton stand up cuddly bear and blocks on the sheet, but there was a last minute change and i didn't get to do the design i was excited about icon_sad.gif sorry i am rambling now

HTH ! icon_biggrin.gif

bizatchgirl Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks, that sounds good. I'll try the two 6x6x6. With your serving size, that will give me 36 servings. I just know there won't be 40 people anyway.

So, would you dowel and support at 3 in rather than 4?

Just have to find a pan now. Everywhere I go they have the Wilton's ones. Those are so ridiculous with the slanted sides!!

holly4409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holly4409 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizatchgirl

So, would you dowel and support at 3 in rather than 4?

Just have to find a pan now. Everywhere I go they have the Wilton's ones. Those are so ridiculous with the slanted sides!!

i HATE those pans. i got a bunch of them for wedding gifts because i asked for baking stuff... i can't do anything with them!!! maybe make a pie. but i don't make pie. lol

i would at 3 in. maybe just with heavy straws. i don't know for sure if it would need the support, but it sure would make serving a lot easier. are you using fondant?

bizatchgirl Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 14

I want to try to do without fondant, but I'm not sure if my icing skills are up to the job. I'm going to just ice and see how it goes. I figure the rough corners will be hidden by the border of the blocks (fondant). I have fondant on hand in case it is necessary.

bizatchgirl Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 14

Help with the mousse question! Anyone??? Am just about to start the cake and once it's in the oven...will be wanting to prepare to do the mousse.

bizatchgirl Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 14

Help with the mousse question! Anyone??? Am just about to start the cake and once it's in the oven...will be wanting to prepare to do the mousse.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 14

Ok as far as the mousse goes, I just finished a cake with Faux Choco Mousse. It's one pkg Chocolate Silk Pie mix (bought at WalMart), and 1 pkg Dream Whip, 1 c shortening, and 2 c powdered sugar. You may need to add a little liquid depending on how well the mixture fluffs up for you. Whip (I use a KA) with the beater attachment for 10 minutes. This should fluff up and have the texture of mousse. It should also hold up outside too.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 14

Just so you know for future reference. Heavy cream based mousse will not hold up without refrigeration for extended periods.

bizatchgirl Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:39am
post #10 of 14

Thanks Gingoodies, that's exactly what I was thinking but wanted to make sure. I found something that may do for my strawberry mousse that has cream cheese in it that is probably a bit more stable.

Thanks misdawn! My favorite desperate measures bud!

Are any of those ingredients dairy? I haven't used Dream Whip or the Silk Pie mix. Would that be even better than my cream cheese based one for long periods out?

bizatchgirl Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:43am
post #11 of 14

Thanks Gingoodies, that's exactly what I was thinking but wanted to make sure. I found something that may do for my strawberry mousse that has cream cheese in it that is probably a bit more stable.

Thanks misdawn! My favorite desperate measures bud!

Are any of those ingredients dairy? I haven't used Dream Whip or the Silk Pie mix. Would that be even better than my cream cheese based one for long periods out?

Misdawn Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:47am
post #12 of 14

Dream Whip and the Silk Pie mix are powders. They are not dairy based so it should be fine out in room temperature.

Misdawn Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:51am
post #13 of 14

Dream Whip and the Silk Pie mix are powders. They are not dairy based so it should be fine out in room temperature.

bizatchgirl Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:16am
post #14 of 14

Thanks Misdawn. I didn't get to try your way this time, I just did my strawberry cream cheese type recipe I found. I'll try yours next time. Sounds yummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%