Fillings... Would This Be Really Weird?

Decorating By soygurl Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 10:25am by mellee

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:18am
post #1 of 19

In just over a week, I'm making my friend a wedding cake on the tiny island where she lives. VERY limited resources, and iffy refrigeration (i.e. I *should* have access to a home refrigerator. Which may or may not already be full of food).

So, I'm trying to figure out what kind of fillings to use. The bottom tier is going to be chocolate and I'm thinking I'll probably use ganache as filling for that one. But the top two tiers are going to be white cake, and I don't know what to fill those with.

When I asked my friend what flavor filling she wanted, she asked for fresh berries and whipped cream (something I do all the time at the bakery I work at), but because of the refrigeration issue that's not an option. Pretty much all of the fillings I use are whipped cream based so I'm kinda starting from scratch here. And I'd like to keep the fillings pretty simple because I think we *might* be serving the slices with whipped cream and berries on the side.

I HATE those sleeve fillings, and I don't like straight jam or preserves either. I like lighter fillings (and so does my friend), so what should I use? I was thinking I could just use flavored frosting as filling, but I'm using SMBC to frost the cake and while I really like SMBC, I find that too much is overwhelming and not everyone likes SMBC.

So here's my crazy idea: what if I used flavored American BC to fill the cake and SMBC to frost? Some really fluffy stuff. Would that be really strange tasting? I was kind of thinking that way everyone would have some frosting that they like (the meringue BC lovers and the crisco BC lovers), but maybe it would be gross with the different textures/flavors... What do you think?

If the American BC would be too strange, does anyone have any other ideas for fillings that don't need to be refrigerated? I like light, fluffy fillings; no sleeve fillings, no jam, no chocolate (preferably something pretty neutral).

Help! icon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_cry.gif

18 replies
kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:38am
post #2 of 19

This is just my opinion, but I'm all for texture in cakes... even with frosting (as long as it's intentional and not some weird accident, like clumpy shortening, or something...)

I've never use SMBC (vegan, so eggs are out...) but it sounds super smooth. I like your idea. I'm all for flavored buttercreams.

Good luck. icon_smile.gif

itscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itscake Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:46am
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

This is just my opinion, but I'm all for texture in cakes... even with frosting (as long as it's intentional and not some weird accident, like clumpy shortening, or something...)

I've never use SMBC (vegan, so eggs are out...) but it sounds super smooth. I like your idea. I'm all for flavored buttercreams.

Good luck. icon_smile.gif

how about a white chocolate ganache?

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:55am
post #4 of 19

I use Indydebi's BC flavored w/ extracts as fillings alot like lemon, orange well you get the idea anyway it stands up very well w/out refridgeration(sp) and can be whipped up nice and fluffy.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:55am
post #5 of 19

Even better!!!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:08am
post #6 of 19

I do a lemon buttercream as well and pair it with a white chocolate sour cream cake (in my recipes). It is amazing together.

patticakesnc Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:08am
post #7 of 19

I do a lemon buttercream as well and pair it with a white chocolate sour cream cake (in my recipes). It is amazing together.

patticakesnc Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:10am
post #8 of 19

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:16am
post #9 of 19

Would lemon curd have to be refrigerated if you subbed the eggs with cornstarch or another thickener?

If that would be a possibility I think the lemon curd would be so good with the berries and whipped cream!

soygurl Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:17am
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscake

how about a white chocolate ganache?

I forgot to mention... the bride HATES white chocolate (I know.. she's crazy!) icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2cakes2

I use Indydebi's BC flavored w/ extracts as fillings alot like lemon, orange well you get the idea anyway it stands up very well w/out refridgeration(sp) and can be whipped up nice and fluffy.

Do you have a handy link for Indydebi's BC recipe? I know could find it through a search, but if you have it handy, all the better! icon_lol.gif

So... icon_confused.gif does anyone else have an opinion on how SMBC and reg. BC might taste on the same cake? I just can't decide if it's brilliant or gross. icon_razz.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:19am
post #11 of 19

i,ve seen someone on here.. say that they make imbc.. then american b/c .. and then you can mix them together. and that is taste wonderful . fluffy and whipped like.. hth

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:20am
post #12 of 19

i,ve seen someone on here.. say that they make imbc.. then american b/c .. and then you can mix them together. and that is taste wonderful . fluffy and whipped like.. hth

ilztar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilztar Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:22am
post #13 of 19

Why not use mousse for your filling? They've got a light texture, can be any flavor and can partner with any type of cake. I use a mousse filling for the majority of my cakes.

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:31am
post #14 of 19

I don't have the link handy but heres the recipe:
1 1/3c-shortening
1/3-1/2c-milk
3tbsp- powdered dream whip
2-3 tsp- vanilla
2lbs_powdered sugar
She says just mix it like it is and I sub differ. extracts for the vanilla. I just made a carmel BC w/ this 15 min. ago. Good luck!

soygurl Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:39am
post #15 of 19

Oh darn! I've tried to find Dream Whip before, and nobody sells it around here! Grrr...

Any other ideas anyone?

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:04am
post #16 of 19

Here is my recipe for lemon filling , I don't like sleeve fillingseither. This recipe is easy and doesn't require refrigeration.

JaimeAnn's Lemon filling

1&1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup plus 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1&1/2 cups water
3 egg yolks slightly beaten
3 Tablespoons Butter
3 teaspoons lemon rind
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Mix sugar & cornstarch in medium saucepan, gradually stir in water
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly till mixture comes to a full boil.
Boil & stir 1-2 minutes. Gradually stir at least half of hot mixture into egg yolks.
Blend it back into the pan. Boil & stir 2-3 minutes. ( if you don't your filling
will taste eggy). Remove from heat add butter lemon rind and lemon juice, mix well. Cool before using as cake filling , if using as pie filling you can pour it into a baked pie crust immediately.

You could probably mix it with a really whipped buttercream and I think it would be yummy..

Here is my Buttercream recipe.. I really like Indydebi's but I have trouble finding the dream whip also.. this is the closest I have come in my experiments to hers without the dream whip..

JaimeAnn's buttercream

1-1/3 cups Cricso
1/3 to 1/2 cup coffemate non dairy liquid creamer (can be flavored)
3 Tbsp meringue powder
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on your personal taste
2 lbs powdered sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients except powdered sugar till well blended. Add powderd sugar and mix to desired consistency.

JaimeAnn Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:05am
post #17 of 19

Duplicate post...

JaimeAnn Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:06am
post #18 of 19

the duplicate post monster finally got me...

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 10:25am
post #19 of 19

Soygurl, you can make Indydebi's recipe without the Dream Whip. I did it once by accident and it came out fine. You can probably just substitute meringue powder too. It's a GREAT recipe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%