Is There Any Way To Make An Edible Mirror?

Decorating By kate_c Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 2:54am by matthewkyrankelly

kate_c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate_c Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:55am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

My daughter turns 3 in 2 weeks and has only wanted one thing for her party - a Dora Disco. So of course I am going to make a Dora cake for her, but I would LOVE to add a small disco ball cake to reflect the
theme. I will make a mini ball cake, frost it, and then was thinking of making little edible mirror squares and basically mosaicing the ball to make it a disco ball.

I could just colour small squares silver and dust with silver disco dust, but I was wondering if there is any technique, say with a sugar "glass" painted in a high glossy silver, to make an edible mirror? Is there a glossy enough silver paint readily available?

Thankyou for your help

Kate icon_smile.gif

4 replies
miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:12am
post #2 of 5

I saw on Paula's party on the food network that Elisa Strauss made disco cupcakes and a disco ball cake, and she said it was made with gray fondant pieces dusted with luster dust, I got to tell you, they look amazing! Now it's not of my bussiness but making a mirrow so realistic for a 3 year old may be a little dangerous because they don't know how to differentiate the real from the edible. Anyhow, you may want to look for that show on the FN. HTH

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:37am
post #3 of 5

There was a couple of posts last month about making sugar tiles (as seen on a food network challenge). I'd search for them and see if they will work for what you are looking for.

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:46am
post #4 of 5

Yeah, I was going to suggest the Paula Deen episode with the disco ball cupcakes too! They were amazing but didn't look too complicated to make! HTH

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:54am
post #5 of 5

Traditionally, all mirrors were made with silver leaf behind glass. You could do the same thing with clear sugar candy. Make it in a sheet. Silver the back... a mirror.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%