Help!!!!! Royal Icing

Decorating By laney19702 Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 1:15am by cake-angel

laney19702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laney19702 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:01am
post #1 of 3

icon_mad.gif I can't seem to get my royal icing to go right. I follow the recipe and nothing seems to work. It is ok for the first couple minutes then it goes soft. I make sure my equipment is clean and free of any type of shortening. I have tried and tried but it still goes soft. Am I not mixing it enough or what. I made some yesterday and the white was fine, but I needed to make some flowers so I colored some with paste color and after I got it mixed it started to go soft. Please someone help me lol icon_biggrin.gif thank you

2 replies
sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:09am
post #2 of 3

If i'm understanding you correctly, you want it stiff for piping, right?

It sounds as if you have too much liquid added to your royal. I would cut back some and see if that helps. It sounds like your paste color is thinning it even more. Reduce water and see if that improves.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:15am
post #3 of 3

Make sure you are mixing it for 7 to 10 minutes. (10 minutes with a hand style mixer for sure) If you don't it won't get the texture you need for piping. Royal icing can also react to heat from a person's hands making it soften as you pipe. Parchment bags can help reduce this problem. If you are trying for a really dark color your paste color may have thinned the royal and you could try adding more icing sugar to stiffen it back up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%