Cake Stacking And Coloring Fondant?!?!

Decorating By alisssssa Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 12:56am by Misdawn

alisssssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisssssa Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 5

This weekend I plan on making a Harry Potter themed cake, this will be my first time using fondant AND stacking a cake. So naturally I have two questions icon_smile.gif

1. When stacking a cake I know I need to put wooden dowels in the bottom layer, will I need cardboard to sit underneath the top cake or will the dowels do fine for the support?

and

2. When coloring fondant what color do you add to get a flesh color? I want to make a Harry Potter fondant figure and have a good idea about it, I just don't want him to look ALL pink, orange or some other crazy color icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance,
Alissa

4 replies
marineris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marineris Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know about stacking cakes but copper can make realistic flesh tones.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 5

Yes you need a cake board between the top tier and bottom tier, other wise the dowels in the bottom won't do any good.

Look for the Strawberry Shortcake or Tinkerbell Wilton color sets. They will have a jar of 'flesh' tone in it.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:46am
post #4 of 5

1. When stacking a cake I know I need to put wooden dowels in the bottom layer, will I need cardboard to sit underneath the top cake or will the dowels do fine for the support?

- Yes you would need dowels and yes you would need a board for it to sit on. You can use bubble tea straws or regular straws if the cake sitting on top isn't too big/heavy.

2. When coloring fondant what color do you add to get a flesh color? I want to make a Harry Potter fondant figure and have a good idea about it, I just don't want him to look ALL pink, orange or some other crazy color

-I believe Wilton sells a fleshy color.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:56am
post #5 of 5

I use Ivory for flesh tones. I find that with the copper, it is too easy to get it too dark.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%