Gluten Free

Decorating By debbieann Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 6:10pm by mkm25

debbieann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbieann Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 10

Betty Crocker has a mix that's gluten free how can I use this mix and keep it gluten free. I have use the recipes for that has cake mix, flour and sour cream. I have a bride that would like a gluten free cake for her wedding so any help or advice I will be grateful. I need this info asap and thank you in advance for your help.

Deb

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 10

It should already be gluten free in the mix if that is what it says it is...It is the flour in the mix..I believe they use rice flour and not regular cake flour.Is that what you are asking?

debbieann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbieann Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 10

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. What I'm trying to do is build the volume (make more cake batter) it's a small box and I want more batter than to buy 3 boxes to fit the size of an 8 in. cake pan.

dulcefactoria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulcefactoria Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 10

You could use baking soda without problem because it haven't wheat!!!

Please let know us how it turned out and sorry for my english icon_redface.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 10

I just torted my first gluten free cake today, coincidentally. My SIL has celiac and can't have gluten. Every time I bring cake to something she just stares at it forlornly. So I decided to make her her own cake. I was shocked at the results! It's as good as any cake around! She'll love it. I'll PM you the recipe.

mkm25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkm25 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 10

artscallion, did you make the cake from scratch? If so, would you post the recipe here? I've been looking for a good from-scratch gluten-free recipe!

artscallion Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 10

I find weighing the ingredients in this recipe is particularly important, as the flours are like cornstarch and can go from well packed and clumpy to airy and fluffy...hard to get accurate scoops.

Lemon Layer Cake (Gluten Free)

1 cup gluten free baking mix, (4.5 oz)
1 1/2 cups white rice flour, (8.5 oz)
1/2 cup tapioca flour, (1.75 oz)
1/2 cup potato flour, (3 oz)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 cup milk
1 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs

Put oven rack in middle position.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Brush two 8"x2" round cake pans with canola oil.
Line bottom of each pan with a round of parchment or wax paper, then oil paper.

Whisk together 1st 7 ingredients until combined well.
Stir together milk, canola oil, vanilla, and zest in another bowl.

Place sugar and eggs in mixer bowl and beat at medium speed just until combined, about 1 minute.
Reduce speed to low, add flour and milk mixtures alternately in batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture, until just combined.

Divide batter evenly between cake pans, smoothing tops.
Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center of each cake layer comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.

Cool cake layers in pans on racks 10 minutes.
Invert cakes onto rack.
Peel off paper and cool layers completely.
Wrap in plastic, then foil and freeze at least overnight.
Thaw, still wrapped in plastic when ready to use.

I used the Magnolia Bakery's recipes for lemon curd filling and lemon butter cream, but most scratch fillings and butter creams are gluten free. Be careful of commercially made fillings though as many contain wheat products.

Magnolia Bakery Lemon Curd Filling (gluten free)

12 egg yolks
3 tbsp grated lemon zest
1 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter cut into small pieces

In a medium saucepan over a medium heat, cook all of the ingredients except the butter until thick and bubbly (stir constantly to prevent burning). Remove from heat and whisk in the butter a small piece at a time until all combined. Refrigerate until firm and spreadable.

Magnolia Bakery Lemon Butter Cream (gluten free) The Magmolia recipe actually uses all butter. I substituted half crisco to make it more heat stable for summer use.

1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup crisco
8 cups confectioners sugar (one 2lb bag)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest

Add 4 cups of the sugar to the butter and beat well. Add the juice and zest and beat until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the remaining sugar and mix until well combined and no lumps of sugar are visible, a good 2-3 minutes.

mkm25 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 10

What brand of gluten-free baking mix did you use?

artscallion Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:05pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkm25

What brand of gluten-free baking mix did you use?

I used Bob's Red Mill Wheat free, dairy free, gluten free all purpose baking flour mix. It's a combo of garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, sorghum flour and fava bean flour. If you can't find this, or something similar, just substitute the same amount of brown rice flour.

mkm25 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:10pm
post #10 of 10

Awesome! You're the best! Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%