Real Or Fantasy Flowers? Opinions!!!

Decorating By saberger Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 2:16pm by pianocat

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 10

I was playing around and created these flowers....probably used bad technique, but messed around. I didn't have the right tools to make some of the flowers that I wanted to, so I used what I had and had fun.

I think I may have actually made a wild rose?! icon_confused.gificon_surprised.gif The white ones were supposed to be tulips from the wilton book....but I don't think they looked anything like it, so I added some color.

So, please tell me...are they all fantasy flowers?

If the pics don't post here, then I will put it in my gallery. TIA
LL
LL
LL

9 replies
saberger Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 10

Sorry, I was having problems submitting the photo....so it has now shown up three times!!!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 10

I am a flower person (Latin names and such). The reality is that very few gumpaste flowers are accurate and yet most of them look pretty. Stamens are out of proportion, colors are unnatural or non-existent, and often enough, every flower has the leaf of a rose.

So, if it looks close to a rose, it's a rose. It is the impression that you get, not the exactness. A candy rose by any other name, would taste as sweet.

saberger Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:01am
post #4 of 10

Well, that is a nice way of looking at it. Thanks

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:04am
post #5 of 10

I like those flowers--especially the yellow one.

saberger Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:38am
post #6 of 10

thank you

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:54am
post #7 of 10

Thay are flowers and they a very pretty!! What more could a girl want!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 10

They're great! When you want to make a realistic flower, sometimes it helps to have the flower in front of you and take it apart and see how the pieces go together (my husband hates it when I tear up the flowers he gives me icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif but how else would I learn ).

I think the pink one looks like a wild rose. The yellow one doesn't look much like a tulip...but it looks just like the tulip in the Wilton book.

Anyhow, great job! Don't worry too much about making the flowers absolutely true to nature...when someone sees a cake with flowers on it, they say, "Oh, look at the pretty flowers," not "Hmmm...what kind of flower is that supposed to be?"

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:16pm
post #9 of 10

I love all your flowers. They look great and the pinkish purple one on the top looks just like the rugosa roses I have in bloom right now in my yard.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:16pm
post #10 of 10

As Texas Rose said most people won't look to see if they are 'real' flowers, they will just think they are beautiful. If someone asks I would call them 'hybrid' gumpaste flowers.
Beautiful job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%