Nfsc & Supplies

Baking By blubakers Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 5:37pm by GeminiRJ

blubakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blubakers Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 9

i'm making sugar cookies for the first time. what ingredients do i need to make great cookies? i'm going to use the NFSC recipe.

-icing tips #2, #3 or #4 (do I need all three?)
-cookie cutters (great resources? are metal better than plastic?)
-meringue powder or royal icing recipe?
-gel paste colors?

thanks!

8 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 9

I like to use the following tips: #1s, #1, #2, #4. I usually have multiples of the same tip, as it eliminates the need to clean the tips over and over in order to use them for a different color. Each color icing you use should have it's own tip, even if you're using five colors and they're all #2 tips. (Hope that makes sense).

I prefer to use Americolor soft gels, as you have much better control over how much color you add vs. the Wilton colors.

I use a slight variation to Toba's Glace to ice my cookies. No meringue powder is required...just powdered sugar, milk (or water), corn syrup, and some white food color (the white helps keep the icing from getting cloudy and splotchy). It decorates wonderfully, and dries firm to the touch but still soft underneath.

Lately, most of my cookie designs have been done using templates and not cutters. For cutters, I just go to my local craft store, as they have a wonderful selection.

Good luck!

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:15am
post #3 of 9

Gemini,
Do you use white food coloring or Brite White? Do you use it when making black?

GeminiRJ Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 11:46am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicopurr

Gemini,
Do you use white food coloring or Brite White? Do you use it when making black?

I use Americolor's Brite White, which is food coloring. I add it to the icing before dividing and coloring, so it's in there before I make any color icing, including black.

calicopurr Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 9

There's a Hobby Lobby down the street and I'd like to try Wilton's white food coloring in the plastic squeeze bottle. Have you had any problems with Wilton and that's why you prefer Americolor? Thanks Gemini.

GeminiRJ Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:

There's a Hobby Lobby down the street and I'd like to try Wilton's white food coloring in the plastic squeeze bottle. Have you had any problems with Wilton and that's why you prefer Americolor? Thanks Gemini.

Other decorators have used the Wilton and have said it works fine. I've only used the Americolor, as I prefer that brand over Wilton food colors. Give the Wilton a try and see if you like it. I don't use it, so I can't say if you'll have the same results as with the Americolor.

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 9

Wilton works fine for most colors. I like americolor myself but use wilton because I have so much of it. I use americolor for red and black just because I don't have to use as much to get the deep color I want.

calicopurr Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 9

Kae & Gemini,

So not only is the white food coloring good for cloudiness (as Gemini states), it is also good to acheive a deep color? Do you add 15 drops of Americolor to your batch of icing? So what I've read, Americolor white food coloring may be more concentrated than Wilton. I have never bought either of the two, but I may have to add more than 15 drops of Wilton's white.

GeminiRJ Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:

Kae & Gemini,

So not only is the white food coloring good for cloudiness (as Gemini states), it is also good to acheive a deep color? Do you add 15 drops of Americolor to your batch of icing? So what I've read, Americolor white food coloring may be more concentrated than Wilton. I have never bought either of the two, but I may have to add more than 15 drops of Wilton's white.

I typically use 5 drops of brite white for every cup of powdered sugar that I use. Since the recipe I use calls for 3 cups of powdered sugar, 3 T. each of corn syrup and milk/water, I use 15 drops of brite white. And yes, I've noticed a big difference in how well the icing holds up to cold tempratures. I was even able to freeze some decorated cookies without a single problem. I'll be doing more test runs with freezing to see if certain colors handle it better than others.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%