Cake Drama

Decorating By Polkadot79 Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 2:08pm by Karema

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 3:04am
post #1 of 4

I've only been making cakes for about 6 months and have had some crazy, rushed days, but these past 2 have topped it all off. icon_biggrin.gif

This cake went through alot to get to this point...first of all, it was supposed to be a 14" square, but when I got to Michael's to buy the pan, they were out! I really want to order a set of good, straight crisped edged square pans online, but didn't have time. So, I used a 16"X 11" or so sheet pan I already had at home. I originally was using a smaller sheet pan & going to double up, so I baked the 4 cakes for that. I decided to bake my mom a belated birthday cake as well....I was about to ice it and I always taste a bit of the cake I trim off while leveling the layers to make sure all is good...I tasted hers and instantly knew something was off! I had left the sugar out of all 4 cakes!!! So at almost 9 pm last night, I had to start all over when I should have been starting decorating. So, I finally get to bed late (actually this morning) and get up this morning to decorate. I slept late thinking that the cake didn't have to be delivered until later that afternoon since we didn't settle on an exact time. I knew that it had to be later in the day since it's a work day. She calls and wants the cake at 1:30. So, it's 11:00 and I'm trying to cover a huge sheet cake in grass (talk about new muscles!!). To top it off, in the middle of decorating, I run out of powdered sugar & eggs for the royal icing...this is about 12:00 and I have to deliver the cake at 1:30. I rush to pick up the extra stuff...first store is out of p.sugar, so I rush to another store to get it. I finally make it back home. I am still piping royal icing grass and have yet to finish the baseball decorations. At 1:40, I have the cake in the car finally although I didn't get a chance to even brush my own hair or change clothes. =D I'm hoping that she hasn't given up on me getting the cake there since I'm already late. On the way into town, I stop and get out to check the cake...and realize it is melting!!! Hot weather, high humidity, and icing doesn't mix well. I almost panic, but at this point there is nothing I can do. I make it by about 2 pm (she called in the mean time saying the lateness was no problem). I explain the problem to her. I knocked $20 off the price and discover that the party doesn't start til 7:00, but it's about an hour away. So, I decide to deliver the cake there after taking it home & fixing the mess! I go home & make extra thick, very peaked royal icing and try to clean up the messy board. Thankfully, her nephew's wife volunteered to take the cake on her way to the party so I had 'til 5:30 to get it right.

Got a text saying she liked it so, I guess all is well! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 3:25am
post #2 of 4

My connection is crazy tonight...after multiple posting when it wouldn't seem to post now my pics aren't showing. Maybe this will work...it's just not my day. icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

lvbakingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvbakingmom Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 3:27am
post #3 of 4

Oh my, sounds like a crazy day. Glad you were able to fix it and that she liked it.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 4

Girl I feel for you. I use to do that all the time to myself and just cry. I've learned to become more oranized. If I have a cake due on friday I make icing on wednesday and color it and cover board and pre cut my decorating bags and add my tips. Then Thursday I bake and torte and crumb coat. Then Friday I finish decorating.It works a lot better for me and somtimes I'm still cleaning during pickup but the cake is done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%