Will This Chocolate Work For Ganache?

Decorating By grandmom Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 10:00am by Bunsen

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:08am
post #1 of 11

I've been reading that HUGE thread about using ganache under fondant, and am ready to give it a try. Sent DH for the white chocolate since he works near the better stores, and he brought home a gazillion bags of Nestles Premium White Morsels, claiming the ingredients were the same as the one brand of blocked white chocolate he found. Will the Nestles work for white chocolate ganache?

TIA

10 replies
JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:39am
post #2 of 11

I know that I've used the Nestle semisweet morsels when it called for blocked semisweet chocolate and it was fine! So I assume the white chocolate is no different, here's a bump maybe someone else can tell you for sure! :]

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:51am
post #3 of 11

we don't have the likes of ghirardelli (sp?) or valrhona here, i just use whatever chocs i can get my hands on, and my ganache turned out fine under the fondant.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 1:56am
post #4 of 11

Honestly, I think it would work. Use a 3:1 ratio -- add more if you want it to set up harder.

I've used cheap chocolate and it worked out fine.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 2:06am
post #5 of 11

It works just the same, they just want you to buy the more expensive chocolate.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:13am
post #6 of 11

Make sure you check the ingredients listing yourself. I've found that many brands of "white chips" aren't white chocolate at all, they are vanilla -- which could still be good, but not if you wanted white chocolate.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:27am
post #7 of 11

White chocolate isn't anything really special anyway. The chip formula may just help it set up nicer, which is what you want here anyway.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:40am
post #8 of 11

I thought you weren't supposed to use chips because they had an additive that helps them keep their chip shape when baked. I dunno, thought I read that somewhere about making ganache.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:45am
post #9 of 11

I've found white chocolate ganache is REALLY hard to make and work with, it turns out alot more oily than regular chocolate ganache... I am not sure how it would work underneath fondant, I've only tried regular chocolate. Also, believe it or not, white chocolate ganache turns out rather yellow.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 9:41am
post #10 of 11

Thanks for your help, folks. I checked the label and Nestles does not contain any real chocolate product, but I guess I have to stick with it anyway. DH paid about $12 for 48 oz and swears that he could find nothing else with cocoa product in it (he's a really good shopper!). I found real white choclate baking bars online and 48 oz. would cost over $42 plus shipping!! Crazy for a child's birthday cake, as much as I love her!!

I hope it turns out well, as this is my first ganache try.

Thanks again.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 10:00am
post #11 of 11

The difference between an expensive white chocolate and a cheaper version is that the more expensive should contain cocoa butter rather than vegetable fat - but that shouldn't make a difference in terms of ganache. Chips do have something to help them keep their shape when baked but by melting them with the hot cream you should be able to get it smooth. White is harder to use than dark as it doesn't set up as firmly - make sure you use 3 parts choc to 1 part cream.

When it comes to dark chocolate you need to have around 50% cocoa solids to get the firm set you require, and it's worth buying the best you can afford as it tastes so much better with a good chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%