Help With Indydebi's Buttercream

Decorating By cupcakeninja Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 5:31pm by Lisaa1996

cupcakeninja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeninja Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 5

Debi - Your buttercream is AWESOME!!! I've been using cream cheese frosting so much lately I forgot how much I LOVE your frosting. I made it today because I'm making my sister's wedding cake in 2.5 weeks and needed to practice. I took a big fingerful for myself and can I just say YUMMO!!!!

So anyway, now my question . . . The buttercream I made today was incredibly thick. I mean THICK!! I don't think I've ever made it that thick before and I used quite a bit of milk. When I went to frost the cakes it wouldn't stick to the cakes, which means I have crumbs and crumbs and more crumbs in my frosting. Its not a big deal today because its a practice cake - this is exactly why I'm practicing - but it will be a problem if it happens on her actual cake.

Was the sticking and crumb problem because it was too thick? Would thinning it out some make it easier to spread on the cake and make it stick better to the cake?

HELP!!! TIA!

4 replies
snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, thinning it out will make it much easier to spread, and it won't pull up chunks of your cake.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 5

just be sure to thin w/ more milk (and yes -- it does set up so nice and stiff!)

buckygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buckygirl Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 5

Can this icing be made with hi-ratio shortening as well? The recipe calls for Crisco.

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 5

I usually thin her icing down to a glaze and crumbcoat the cake first, then use the regular icing , thinned with milk to frost the cake. It sticks really well then! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%