Can Gumpaste Letters Be Put On A Cake Before They Dry?

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm by Caths_Cakes

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 5

I'm curious... can gumpaste letters be put on a cake before they dry? The reason I'm asking is because they need to go on the side of a round cake, so I can't dry them flat or they'll stick up, right? Does anyone know? Thanks!

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, yes you can. I have done it few times. If you have iced the cake with fondant, then putting it straight away is the best thing. But if you have iced the cake with bc, then you can dry it and then put it on the cake. Because when the gumpaste touches the bc it goes soft. But be careful, as it might go goey and sticky. icon_smile.gif

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 5

I've done it before and it cane out just fine!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sugar_Fairy

I'm curious... can gumpaste letters be put on a cake before they dry? The reason I'm asking is because they need to go on the side of a round cake, so I can't dry them flat or they'll stick up, right? Does anyone know? Thanks!

If you need to dry them with the curve of the cake, why not set the pan you baked the cake in on its side--prop it up with towels or a glass or whatnot--and lay the gumpaste on what's usually the edge to dry, on the inside? Just make sure you put them facing side down!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 5

Yup, id go with what varika said, i normally dry mine flat, but i have applied them to fondant covered cakes straight away, but i have a lot of issues with moving about and loosing there shape, so now if i need the,m to go on the side of cake i dry them round the shape of the tin so they fit just nice icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%