Mff - Jaggedy Edges; Is It Too Dry?

Decorating By pattiverde Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 5:07pm by pattiverde

pattiverde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattiverde Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 3

Hello!

I made my first ever batch of Michele Foster's fondant this week, and it was easy and yummy! I wrapped it in oiled plastic wrap, as instructed. Today as I set out to work with it, I tore off a piece and began to knead it, but no matter how much I kneaded it, it didn't get that pliable stretch that I need in order to cover a cake with it. It was super soft, not sticky at all, pliable in the sense that I could squish it and mold it, but when I rolled a small piece out, the edge of the circle had jaggedy edges, which of course I can cut off when I cover the cake, but I'm concerned I didn't get the right consistency. Is it too dry?

The only other way I can think of to describe the consistency is this: you know how when you buy fondant (I usually buy Satin Ice), and you first break off a piece of it, the part where you broke some off looks kind of jaggedy, or spongey? But then you knead it in your hands and it gets really smooth again? That's how my mff looks, like Satin Ice before I knead it. Any help would be appreciated! I want to use this fondant and even make two more batches if it works out. Thank you!

icon_smile.gif patti

2 replies
ivgotahalo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivgotahalo Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 3

Maybe try putting a little bit of shortening on your hands and kneeding it in...

pattiverde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattiverde Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks ivgotahalo! I do that with Satin Ice for sure, but in a previous post, Michele wrote that shortening can "weaken" the fondant (?). Can anyone else chime in? Anyone MFF experts out there?

Thank you!
icon_smile.gif patti

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%