Fondant, Pearls And Ri Questions....

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 2:10am by JCE62108

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 2:37am
post #1 of 8

Ok, so I got started on my beach themed cake. I made some half pearls with RI. How can I attach those to the sides of my fondant cake? Will a dot of water stick it to the side or do I need to do something else?

Also, I am unexperienced making pearls and such. When I went to the cake store today I asked the lady what I needed to color the pearls to make them "pearly" and not "sparkly" because I had bought some wilton white luster dust and it was all sparkles. Not what I wanted at all. So she sold me some gold pearl dust. I then asked what I could use for the shells and she sold me some antique silk dust. When I got home and tried it, that gold pearl dust looked almost exactly like that wilton stuff. My pearl looked like a disco ball. Not cool. So I tried the antique silk and that was more like what I needed. It gave it a nice pearl like sheen with a little sparkle. I really prefer no sparkle. Pearls dont sparkle. So what do you guys use for your pearls so I know next time?

BTW I want to thank you guys for the tips on the coral. I did some with RI and it turned out AWESOME. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:12am
post #2 of 8

I think you could use a small dot of RI to attach the RI pearls to fondant.

If you mix your wilton dust with vodka and paint it on, it gives a sheen instead of looking glittery. I usually use wilton dust but the last time I was at the cake store I bought Americolor airbrush pearl sheen color....no, I don't have an airbrush icon_biggrin.gif...but I painted it on and it gives the perfect look to pearls.

JCE62108 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:21am
post #3 of 8

Oh cool. Ill have to try painting it. I dont have any vanilla right now or vodka. lol. So Ill pick up some vanilla at the store today. That works the same way, doesnt it? I really dont want to buy a whole bottle of vodka. Hmm, well I guess I could get those little shooter things.

Next time Im at the cake store Ill see if they have that airbrush color and give it a try too.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:33am
post #4 of 8

I wondered if the air brush could be handpainted on. Good tip Texas_Rose.

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:48am
post #5 of 8

I use pearl glaze, just paint it on it makes them look irridescent just like the real pearls. You can get it at cake supply store. HTH

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:50am
post #6 of 8

I use pearl glaze, just paint it on it makes them look irridescent just like the real pearls. You can get it at cake supply store. HTH

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:31am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Oh cool. Ill have to try painting it. I dont have any vanilla right now or vodka. lol. So Ill pick up some vanilla at the store today. That works the same way, doesnt it? I really dont want to buy a whole bottle of vodka. Hmm, well I guess I could get those little shooter things.

Next time Im at the cake store Ill see if they have that airbrush color and give it a try too.

Clear vanilla will work just like vodka. Vodka is cheaper...I paint with it a lot so I bought a 1.75L bottle of really cheap vodka for $12, which works out to about 20 cents an ounce, which is way cheaper in the long run.

If you do buy vodka for it but you just want a little bit, those shooter bottles are more expensive usually because they're all the fancy brands. Your cake won't care if it gets painted with Heaven Hill or Skoal instead of Grey Goose or Absolut icon_biggrin.gif Usually the cheapest way to get it is the half pint bottle...here in TX it runs about $2.

LOL...I sound like a drunk icon_biggrin.gif but I'm not, I used to work at a liquor store.

JCE62108 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 2:10am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I think Ill look for that pearl glaze stuff, or maybe that airbrush stuff next time I go. I actually may have another cake almost identical to the one Im making now in August. So if I get that job I think Ill look more into this. I think Im just going to use what I have now for this job. I dont want to buy anymore supplies. Im only charging $70 for a 10 and 6, fondant covered with handmade coral, shells, pearls, etc. I think Ive almost spent that in supplies so far. Ugh. He's a friend so its not so bad. Plus its going to be a nice cake to add to my portfolio since I havent done anything like this before. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%