What Happens When You Add Too Much Shortening To Fondant?

Decorating By preciosa225 Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 1:20am by Cheyanne25

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 8

I use Satin Ice fondant and I've been having a lot of problems with it lately. I thought the problems were being caused by the dying of the fondant but now I dye a small amount a few shades darker than I need it and then add it to the rest of the fondant (which is what was suggested).

The problem is that when I knead and roll out my fondant, it tears once I lift it. It's like my fingers go right through it. I thought it was happening because the fondant was dry so I stopped using cornstarch and used powdered sugar on my surface. Still had a problem. I roll it out really quickly and even wrap it with clear wrap if I have to step away for a second. The only thing I am thinking is that I've realized I put a fair amount of shortening on my surface (even though I rub it in until it is no longer visible) and I also rub shortening on my fondant before kneading it. Could this be causing the fondant to lose its elasticity and tear this way?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cari

7 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 8

It will get sticky and droopy...add more ps

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 8

Too much shortening will weaken the fondant. If it seems dry try adding very small amounts of glycerin to it until it is pliable.

Many people use starch but I find that it causes the fondant to dry too quickly for me. I use powdered sugar on heavy cotton fabric for rolling fondant. I tape the fabric down tightly, liberally dust with powdered sugar, and then rub that into the fabric before kneading. I dust more on it before rolling the fondant.

HTH
Michele

preciosa225 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:23am
post #4 of 8

Thanks! Sorry about the multiple posts. I don't know why this posted 4 times! icon_eek.gif

preciosa225 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:24am
post #5 of 8

Thanks! Sorry about the multiple posts. I don't know why this posted 4 times! icon_eek.gif

preciosa225 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:25am
post #6 of 8

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:33am
post #7 of 8

Too much colouring will cause the fondant weaken as well.

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:20am
post #8 of 8

I had similar problems with Satin Ice when I first stared using it. I found that for me, it works if I actually roll it out and then let it sit uncovered for a few minutes. Drying it out that little bit helps it to hold its shape better for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%