Help ......chocolate Ganache Not Thickening ..

Decorating By Ren29 Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 5:16pm by mandyloo

Ren29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren29 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 17

Hi all....still new here and trying to make chocolate ganache for the first time. I used a recipe from the site which called for 2 to 1 ratio of heavy cream to chocolate, melted placed in fridge overnight, now trying to whip and still liquid . is there anything i can do to save this without having too dump $11.00 worth of chocolate down the tubes .....any advice would be much appricated ...thanks

16 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 17

I think you have the ratio backwards. I use 16 oz. chocolate to 8 ounces of heavy cream.

Loucinda Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 17

I think you have the ratio backwards. I use 16 oz. chocolate to 8 ounces of heavy cream.

Loucinda Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 17

Loucinda Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 17

Ren29 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 17

thanks Loucinda.....do you think i can melt more chocolate and add it to the cold mixture and whip right away

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 17

I did this not too long ago..I switched the ratios and ended up with some really tasty and rather expensive hot chocolate. To fix it I put the mixture in my double boiler and as it heated up slowly added more chocolate bits until it finally reached the proper consistency. Good luck!

Ren29 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 17

thanks Loucinda.....do you think i can melt more chocolate and add it to the cold mixture and whip right away

mandyloo Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 17

I did this not too long ago..I switched the ratios and ended up with some really tasty and rather expensive hot chocolate. To fix it I put the mixture in my double boiler and as it heated up slowly added more chocolate bits until it finally reached the proper consistency. Good luck!

Ren29 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 17

mandyloo Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 17

Ren29 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 17

Ren29 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:55pm
post #13 of 17

thanks Mandyloo ...quick question how long to cool before putting on cake .....i have a bbq this afternoon and need the cake fo then ...thanks for your help icon_biggrin.gif

Ren29 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:56pm
post #14 of 17

thanks Mandyloo ...quick question how long to cool before putting on cake .....i have a bbq this afternoon and need the cake fo then ...thanks for your help icon_biggrin.gif

Ren29 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:57pm
post #15 of 17

Ren29 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:58pm
post #16 of 17

mandyloo Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:16pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren29

I let my cool considerably, since the first time I tried to pour a bit on it was still so thin/melty that is ran right off. Sorry I don't have a better answer! Also, I suppose it would depend on the look you're going for..like if you're just going to drizzle along the top edge and down the sides, or ice the whole cake. When I iced the whole cake I let it sit a lot longer before using it.
Again, good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%