How Do You Thin Icing So That It Can Be Used To 'flood?'

Decorating By AlexRose Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 5:14pm by kyhendry

AlexRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlexRose Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:39am
post #1 of 9

I've seen somewhere where normal consistency icing has been used to outline a section and then the icing is thinned and used to 'flood' the section. I'm not sure if that's making sense, but does anyone know how to do that?

I tried on one of my cakes and thinned the icing with water. It filled the section well enough, but weird white flecks of (I think!) Crisco floated to the top...

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

8 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:45am
post #2 of 9

What are you planning to make? I never really thought of using liquidy buttercream. Why don't you use royal icing?

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 9

wilton makes "color flow" which is used for flooding images

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 9

wilton makes "color flow" which is used for flooding images

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 9

I just used more milk and it worked great.
HTH

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 9

I just used more milk and it worked great.
HTH

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 9

Whenever I've made icing for color flow decorations I use Colette Peter's instructions for thinning from her book. I make normal royal icing for the outlining and then for the thinner consistency I put some separately in a bowl and add a little water (like a drop or two at a time). To know when you are at the thinness you need, take a spoon and let it drop off the spoon into the bowl and if the dropped icing disappears by the count of 10 then you are thin enough. if it disappears before you get to 8 then you might be too thin so add a little bit of your stiff icing to it (that's why I only thin a small amount at a time).

Hope it helps. icon_smile.gif

kyhendry Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:13pm
post #8 of 9

Whenever I've made icing for color flow decorations I use Colette Peter's instructions for thinning from her book. I make normal royal icing for the outlining and then for the thinner consistency I put some separately in a bowl and add a little water (like a drop or two at a time). To know when you are at the thinness you need, take a spoon and let it drop off the spoon into the bowl and if the dropped icing disappears by the count of 10 then you are thin enough. if it disappears before you get to 8 then you might be too thin so add a little bit of your stiff icing to it (that's why I only thin a small amount at a time).

kyhendry Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:14pm
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%