Pricing For A Wedding Cake Using "fake" Cakes?

Business By chelley325 Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 6:16pm by __Jamie__

chelley325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelley325 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 13

I am doing my first wedding cake and due to the number of people invited the bride expressed interest in possibly having sheet cakes in the back to serve the guests so that the tiers don't become ridiculous. I am more than okay with this, but don't know how to price this? The "show" cake will have a real bottom layer for them to cut, and the whole thing will be decorated in fondant. Any suggestions or advice? Thank you!

12 replies
amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 13

Let her know that having kitchen cakes probably won't save any money. The cost of the dummies is not much (if any) cheaper than that of actual cake. If any money is saved, it's on the time that it takes to mix, bake, level, and fill cakes. However, making sheet cakes negates any of that cost. I would advise her to stick with tiers and forget the kitchen cakes. More work for you = more money for her.

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 13

Yes I agree, fake cakes don't really make much of a saving for the bride and are useful when you want to make the cake appear bigger not smaller.

Your blog name is very eye catching.

In our neck of the woods brown eye is slang for something crude.

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 13

If she is thinking the cake would have to be huge, you could suggest satellite cakes instead of the sheet cakes. The presentation would be grand without going really big or tall.

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 13

"due to the number of people invited the bride expressed interest in possibly having sheet cakes in the back"

Why then would the cake be fake except for the bottom layer? Or have I misunderstood?

If there were a large number of people, wouldn't you want to use all cake?

chelley325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelley325 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara91

"due to the number of people invited the bride expressed interest in possibly having sheet cakes in the back"

Why then would the cake be fake except for the bottom layer? Or have I misunderstood?

If there were a large number of people, wouldn't you want to use all cake?

I think she is trying to avoid having a 5-6 tier cake as she thinks it will look too big. The bottom layer would be "real" so they could cut into it at the reception, but that's it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 13

She's potentially planning 250-300 guests (based on a 5-6 tier cake) and she's afraid the CAKE will look too big?

For that many guests, she's going to be in a ballroom type of venue and she's afraid the CAKE will be too big?

Is she crazy? icon_confused.gif That makes absolutely NO sense to me at all.

I saw Sylvia Weinstock explain to a bride, when she found out where the reception was, that she NEEDED a tall cake to look right in that room.

Maybe she invisions a 5 tier cake on top of a fountain or something. A 5-tier cake, stacked, made up of 4" tall tiers is only 20" tall. That's not what I'd call huge.

I think she sounds like a twit.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:51am
post #8 of 13

And, if she wants fewer tiers, make the cakes bigger.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 13

Tell her what I tell all of my brides who ask for this option...

Styrofoam dummy cakes cost just as much as the raw ingredients for a baked cake. The bulk of the cost of your cake is in the decorating and that costs the same no matter what it is on. Then you will be paying for the kitchen cakes which cost about the same amount as a tiered wedding cake. You will end up paying more for a display cake and kitchen cakes than you would if you ordered the appropriate servings of wedding cake.

I give a 10% discount on a fake tier since I don't have to spend the time baking it. I also don't do "sheet cakes"... I provide kitchen cakes which are the same as the wedding cake on the inside... 4" tall... torted and filled. They cost $4/serving. If you have a display cake and kitchen cakes out back it will cost you almost double what a straight up wedding cake would cost.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:13pm
post #10 of 13

I love how that works out. icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 13

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm
post #12 of 13