Question About Foam Boards

Decorating By jenna15 Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm by Shelly4481

jenna15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenna15 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:38am
post #1 of 6

I have a question for all you CCers......I hear often that people use "foam board" as their cake boards for really heavy cake....I have a large truck cake to do this weekend (feeding about 100 ppl) and was wondering if this foam board stuff is the big poster board type things you find at say MICHAELS? it was fairly stiff and appeared as though it had foam in the middle. Is this the same stuff and do you think it would hold a large cake about 25 in. long? I am very nervous about the support of this cake....don't want the cake board to give out and cake go everywhere! Thanks for your help!

5 replies
krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:44am
post #2 of 6

when im really worried i go to the hardwear store and they will cut wood to size that should cost less then $5 faom board might cost more then wood

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:45am
post #3 of 6

I recently made a three tier book cake (you can see it in my photos) that served about 75 people. I used a 1/2" foamcore board as the base. I felt that was pushing the limits of the board with the heaviness of the cake. We definitely cared it from underneath and wouldn't have felt comfortable just grabbing the sides of the board.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:48am
post #4 of 6

I agree with PP. If you feel it's going to be really heavy, play it safe and go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a board. You can get them to cut it to the size you need.

jenna15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenna15 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the advice....i think I will play it safe and go get a piece of board cut! Thanks again for the help!

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 6

I like wood for the base and foam core for between the tiers. It holds up good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%