Tutorial Or Video On Gift Bag Cake?

Decorating By scrabblemomof1 Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 9:13pm by Lisa-lou

scrabblemomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrabblemomof1 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:57am
post #1 of 12

Ok, I wish there was a way of searching topics already covered in this forum because there are many pages to read through.

I have been searching for either a tutorial or a video on how to make a gift bag cake. How do I make those perfectly straight up and down sides? Is that cardboard or what? Please somebody tell me or direct me in the right direction. Or is there a video out on it?

Michelle

11 replies
scrabblemomof1 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 12

.... icon_cry.gif anybody?

scrabblemomof1 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 12

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif ...somebody?

tapedshut.gif <----You

scrabblemomof1 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 12

tapedshut.gif <----You

scrabblemomof1 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 12

tapedshut.gif <----You

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 12

Scrabblemomof1, sorry I've never made one, but my guess is that you would stack the cake up (like loaf size) until you get the height of the bag and that you would cover the sides with fondant. Hopefully someone out there can tell you. Have you tried pming someone who has made a bag cake? Just a thought.
Lori

Bohnlo Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 12

Scrabblemomof1, sorry I've never made one, but my guess is that you would stack the cake up (like loaf size) until you get the height of the bag and that you would cover the sides with fondant. Hopefully someone out there can tell you. Have you tried pming someone who has made a bag cake? Just a thought.
Lori

Bohnlo Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:32pm
post #8 of 12

Lori

scrabblemomof1 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:39am
post #9 of 12

Thanks for the reply. I like this site for the exchange of tips and suggestions. I saw on a few of the cake shows, they have the fondant on a piece of cardboard and they lift it up and the fondant is already hard. I am going to try letting the fondant dry overnight (or longer), then using the carboard to lift it straight up.

I recently made computer cake and now realize I should have used this method to get straighter sides of the computer tower. Oh well... u live and learn.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:31am
post #10 of 12

Anyone know if the "fondant" was a mix of gumpaste and fondant... or just straight fondant?

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:35am
post #11 of 12

id use fondant with a little tylose added just to give it some stiffness. also attach with a little melted chocolate even if you iced the cake in buttercream. i find it holds the fondant better and doesn;t let it slide down.

Lisa-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa-lou Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:13pm
post #12 of 12

This thread gave the basic structure pattern:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-645532-.html

or try this one, it gives instructions on the fondant size etc:
http://modern-baking.com/cake_decorating/cheers-shopping-0309/

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%