How Much Leveling?

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 12:53pm by ZlatkaT

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 5

When you level the top of your cake, do you just cut the dome, or you cut the all top off?
I am asking this because, I used to cut off just the dome, and my husband said that I should cut the all top to get the perfect level, otherwise I won't get sharp corners. Last time I listent to him and cut the top off, and my cake was 1" smaller (2 layers), and still no sharp edges. icon_lol.gif

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:41am
post #2 of 5

I cut it to the part that will level all out flat. Try using baking strips--it will help level things out.

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:58am
post #3 of 5

Sometimes if I have a short cake and I don't want to have to cut off the whole top to level it, I just cut off the dome, and then after I put my dam and filling on the bottom, I turn the part that was once the top layer, upside-down so the cut-off-dome part is touching the filling. Make sense? Then I just press it down really good and pipe any extra frosting to fill in the gaps on the sides. Usually there isn't much of a gap anyway. But I agree that the bake strips work wonders. Think of how much cake you'll save from getting thrown out!!

Queenguba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queenguba Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:14am
post #4 of 5

A little hint i got was when i take the cake out of the oven, i get a clean tea towel and press down the dome and even out the top. This saves alot of wastage.

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 5

aliciag829, I like the flipping cake idea. I will try that. I am using heating cores on bigger cake, this one was just 6". Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%