What Do You Use Besides A Pan??????

Decorating By susanmm23 Updated 28 Aug 2005 , 3:39am by SquirrellyCakes

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 1:15am
post #1 of 48

Just wondering i have heard of the pyrex bowl and i just read about the coffee can idea. Have heard of people baking cakes in soup cans and using ice cream cones. What else have you tried??????

47 replies
JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 1:21am
post #2 of 48

Terra cotta pots!! Yep...any good old, really clean - or better yet brand new - pot will do.....it should be undecorated and unglazed, of course. You just have to either find one without a hole in the bottom, or take a piece of tile and glue it to cover the hole. Just grease and flour or pan coat like you normally would do...it worked for me whenever I've done it! icon_smile.gif

susanmm23 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 1:28am
post #3 of 48

GREAT IDEA!!!!! oh that will be cute for cakes for our spring carnival at school!!!!

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 1:32am
post #4 of 48

Sure would be nice to get one shaped like the buckets for making sand castles....

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 1:41am
post #5 of 48

A word of warning. Terra cotta pot manufacturers warn that if you bake in a terra cotta pot, it should be lined with foil. Many of these pots have lead in them and the lead will leach into the food! Not all pots do, but they don' t label the ones that do or don't, so be careful.

susanmm23 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 1:57am
post #6 of 48

hmmmmm thats scary would parchment paper work?????

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 2:55am
post #7 of 48

Well, you can use a clay baker to make a cake and they come in different shapes, just follow the directions as normally you soak these for around a half hour in water. Romertopf and other manufacturers make these.
Corning ware, pyrex any oven to tableware casserole or heat safe mixing bowl will do. You can use stainless steel too, but generally stainless doesn't conduct heat as well as other materials.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

JennT Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:10am
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetArt

A word of warning. Terra cotta pot manufacturers warn that if you bake in a terra cotta pot, it should be lined with foil. Many of these pots have lead in them and the lead will leach into the food! Not all pots do, but they don' t label the ones that do or don't, so be careful.

hmmmm.....never heard of this manufacturers warning before...and I know I don't have lead poisoning..lol. I think if they're genuine clay pots they're fine. Oh well - can't hurt to line it first, I guess. I think parchment would work fine.

JennT Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:12am
post #9 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Well, you can use a clay baker to make a cake and they come in different shapes, just follow the directions as normally you soak these for around a half hour in water. Romertopf and other manufacturers make these.
Corning ware, pyrex any oven to tableware casserole or heat safe mixing bowl will do. You can use stainless steel too, but generally stainless doesn't conduct heat as well as other materials.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Thanks squirrelycakes, for mentioning the soaking part...I left that out...oops icon_redface.gif . I usually soak mine for 45 min to 1hr just to be sure. icon_smile.gif

susanmm23 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:17am
post #10 of 48

lol yeah thanks would hate to set my house on fire making a cake. lol

SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:19am
post #11 of 48

Heehee, yes, it guards against cracking the clay as it tends to expand and contract according to the temperature and the moisture level. In fact, with the clay bakers you generally do not preheat the oven but put the soaked clay baker in the oven and then turn on the heat.
I have heard the comments about glazed or painted terra cotta pots having the possibility of some lead in them, but not the unglazed pots. Now, I would have thought that because so many people do container gardening and grow their herbs and tomatoes and such in the clay pots, that there would have to be a warning about the lead. Perhaps it varies from place to place, but as far as I know, the regular old clay flower pots, at least the ones available in Canada, the unglazed ones, do not contain lead. Regulations vary from place to place but here anything containing lead must be identified.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

JennT Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:22am
post #12 of 48

icon_redface.gif I can be quite ditzy sometimes and do things like leave out key steps of a procedure...lol....but I think the worst that could happen is the pot could crack, causing the batter to ooze out all over your oven, leaving quite a huge mess(that's all, lol)...but could the batter then catch on fire?? lol OMG...I never should have said anything!!!! icon_razz.gif

susanmm23 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:27am
post #13 of 48

lol jenn knowing my luck yes the batter would catch fire. cause it would burn so badly it would burst into flames. ok so i wouldnt burnthe whole house down just cause some minor smoke damage.

Ok i dont work with clay nor have i ever so this may be a stupid question but can you use modeling clay that you cook to set and make designs to bake in?????

JennT Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:34am
post #14 of 48

I'm not answering this one....lol icon_eek.gif

(Ok....so I'll give my OPINION...not an answer....lol I wouldn't think it would work the same....are you thinking of making your own pot just so you're sure there's NO lead in it??!!! lol Don't forget to soak it....maybe for a day or two, huh? LOL) icon_wink.gif

susanmm23 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:37am
post #15 of 48

LOL we have way way to much fun on here. My dh just asked me what the heck was so funny. LOL i think he thinks ive lost my mind cause im the only one sitting in our computer room. and i am laughing it up.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:39am
post #16 of 48

Hhmn, I don't think you can use the modelling clay but you can use silicone plastique to make a silicone mold that you can bake in. www.sugarcraft.com, I believe, has this product and there are other similar products on the market too.
Haha regarding batter fires, here is the trick, well usually the batter isn't so much a problem as other grease that may be in your oven getting ignited along with the batter. So what you do is, you turn off the oven and you keep the door shut. Oxygen will fuel the fire so as long as your oven is off, and the door is closed the fire will burn out. Same principle with most fires on the stove, if you can get at the knob to turn off the element and place a lid over the pot, the lack of oxygen feeding the fire will normally allow the fire to go out. It is always a good idea to have a multi-purpose fire extinguisher in your kitchen, just don't try to put out a fire that has got out of control and never use water on a grease fire!
Oh yes, how do I know about the batter fire in the oven, hhmn, well guess, haha! I didn't realize hubby had spilled some grease from baking fish in a dish without a lip, so the grease added to the fuel, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

JennT Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:39am
post #17 of 48

Just thought I'd let ya'll know that my DH just said that I should change my name on here to: InsaneintheMembrane!!! Can'tcha just feel the LOVE!!!????!! icon_lol.gif I don't know what's gotten into me tonight.... icon_razz.gif

susanmm23 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:39am
post #18 of 48

lol no not to make my own pot but maybe different shapes or letters to bake in. Guess i could get my dad to weld me some he works at an aluminum place. then i wouldnt have to worry about soaking. lol

susanmm23 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:42am
post #19 of 48

LOL squirrelly, thanks for the tip. Yeah my dh keeps looking in here like im nuts. Must be something in the air tonight making us all a little more crazy than usual

SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:45am
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmm23

lol no not to make my own pot but maybe different shapes or letters to bake in. Guess i could get my dad to weld me some he works at an aluminum place. then i wouldnt have to worry about soaking. lol

Haha, well that is a thought, but then there is an increased risk of Alzheimer's. You know that is the one thing nobody ever brings up, likely because nearly all cake pans are made from aluminum. But does anyone else worry about this? I know most of us will not cook in aluminum pans anymore because Alzheimer's patients show a higher level of aluminum and there has been a link between that and the disease.
It is something that has always worried me.
Hugs Squirrelly

JennT Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:46am
post #21 of 48

Yeah, I don't think the modeling clay would hold up to repetitive heating. That's a great idea about the welding! You've inspired me....my husband uses this guy at a machine shop to fix/weld parts for our mowers and other equipment for our landscaping business. He told DH the other day that if we wanted to do a design for a sign at the entrance to our property (we've been talking to this guy about it for a few months now) that he's got this laser cutter thing that's connected to a computer & it will cut out anything you want! Where my mind goes: cookie cutters, shaped cake pans, etc!!! He said he could do anything with any kind of sheet metal of any gague....so talk to your husband about it....I bet it'll get him thinking!! lol

Oops..I meant your Dad!! sorry icon_redface.gif

susanmm23 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:48am
post #22 of 48

WOW!!!! i have never heard that. forget that then hmmm i saw online at one of the cake supplies they were selling aluminum inserts for letters and numbers thats where i got the idea from.

susanmm23 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:50am
post #23 of 48

lol its ok my dh works there with my dad only my dh works in the cutting department not welding. they cut and shape the metals you see on roofs of buildings and some sides of buildings. i guess i could ask if they have any stainless instead of aluminum

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:52am
post #24 of 48

JennT, I may know what the problem is, here in Jonesborough Tn we have had a full moon all week, how about where you are?

SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 3:54am
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmm23

lol its ok my dh works there with my dad only my dh works in the cutting department not welding. they cut and shape the metals you see on roofs of buildings and some sides of buildings. i guess i could ask if they have any stainless instead of aluminum

Well kiddo, 99% of all of the pans and such are aluminum anyway, so I don't think it would make much difference. Still it always makes me think!
Hhmn welder, that means they can make you some nifty cake stands, right? Now that would be something else!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

susanmm23 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:00am
post #26 of 48

yeah they dont do alot of welding unless a job calls for it but if i come up with a design they could make it for me.
Maybe i should work on that. i need some nifty cake stands

SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:04am
post #27 of 48

Heehee, full moon, is that it?
Hugs Squirrelly

JennT Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:05am
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Well kiddo, 99% of all of the pans and such are aluminum anyway, so I don't think it would make much difference. Still it always makes me think!
Hhmn welder, that means they can make you some nifty cake stands, right? Now that would be something else!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

What a great idea!! Some wrought iron cake stands would be beautiful!!

Irisinbloom: I bet that's the deal with me!! lol I noticed last night as I was pulling the shades down on my windows that the moon was so huge and bright!! I just had to go sit outside and look at it....I live on 6 acres and it's really dark out here, but last night I could see almost to the back end of our property. I could also see a few armadillos running away from a racoon too, so I took my scaredy-cat self back inside!!! lol icon_eek.gif

susanmm23 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:13am
post #29 of 48

We live on a lake and the moon just lights up the water. It is just beautiful. Only problem the water brings more mesquitos sooooooo i stay in. lol plus even at night it is crazy humid its so humid here you break a sweat just thinking of going outside.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:16am
post #30 of 48

JennT, six acres, that sounds like heaven! Haha, I find the older I get, the more land I want around me! So raccoons go after armadillos?
Did you know that raccoons are tone deaf, haha? Well, at least I think they are. We have had them twice in our attic, the first time I had Wildlife Control out and they put special screening to keep them out. Then we had all of our soffits and fascia and roofing replaced and the little critters got inside again. So, there I was sitting at my computer singing away, when I hear this crying sound. So I left the room to investigate, still singing away and the crying sound followed me, I could hear footsteps over my head no matter where I went. So Wildlife Control came back out and the owner said that the raccoon had bonded with me and was following my voice around because it gave it comfort. Can you believe that, it must have been tone deaf, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%