I Need Help With Fondant

Decorating By elkinchahin Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 7:21pm by elkinchahin

elkinchahin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elkinchahin Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 20

So Im trying to make a cake cover in fondant for SUnday for my nieces birthday, and Im having such a hard time to roll it and avoiding from breaking, any tricks anyone or how thin I should roll it....thanks in advance for the help

19 replies
Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 20

This is more a "bump" than a good answer. I'm not an expert - hopefully you will get better info from others. I learned by practicing. When I began I rolled it way too thin, but looking at "Ace of Cakes", and other shows you get an idea that usually folks roll it about 1/4 inch. Watching others cover a cake helps, but you can't get the feel until you try it on your own.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 20

Isnt friday a bit early to cover with fondant for a sunday party? Cant it harden by then? I'm paranoid about covering too early.

DancingCakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingCakes2008 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 20

When I am having trouble with it cracking I just put shortening on my hands and knead until it is soft and smooth. Then roll out about a 1/4 inch thick making sure it doesn't stick

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 20

What fondant are you using? Store bought or homemade? Is it ripping when you handle it, or only when you roll it thin? Basically I'm trying to figure out if it's a problem with the fondant or just the way it's being rolled. I like using a sheet of clear vinyl (bought at fabric store) - I roll it out, pick it up with the vinyl, lay it over the cake, and peel off the vinyl - it really helps! If your fondant is ripping when you just manipulate it in your hands, you know - not stretchy enough, then you may need to adjust the consistency of the fondant - add a little glycerine? You may have to play with it a little. HTH!

windy1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windy1979 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 20

Thanks for the tips. I made buttercream fondant last night, it was the first time I had ever worked with fondant and mine cracked too. I will try the crisco Idea. Right now i am just using it for small cut out peices to overlay on buttercream. I am trying practice a little before i cover a whole cake with it. icon_lol.gif

tree45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree45 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 20

If your new to rolling fondant, you may want it to be thicker the first few times. As you become better with it you will roll it thinner because you have a feel for it and how it behaves. Too much corn starch when you roll it can dry it out. Oh and the mosture from the buttercream underneath the cake will keep it from hardening. HTH! icon_smile.gif

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

I like using a sheet of clear vinyl (bought at fabric store) - I roll it out, pick it up with the vinyl, lay it over the cake, and peel off the vinyl - it really helps!

What a great tip!! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 20

I actually learned about it here on CC 1-2 years ago! This place is great, huh?!!

elkinchahin Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:18pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattigunter

Isnt friday a bit early to cover with fondant for a sunday party? Cant it harden by then? I'm paranoid about covering too early.

Patty, I know its early, but its my first time using it, so I thought I would start practicing early, good thing I did cause Im having a hard time.

elkinchahin Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:18pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:

Patty, I know its early, but its my first time using it, so I thought I would start practicing early, good thing I did cause Im having a hard time.

elkinchahin Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

What fondant are you using? Store bought or homemade? Is it ripping when you handle it, or only when you roll it thin? Basically I'm trying to figure out if it's a problem with the fondant or just the way it's being rolled. I like using a sheet of clear vinyl (bought at fabric store) - I roll it out, pick it up with the vinyl, lay it over the cake, and peel off the vinyl - it really helps! If your fondant is ripping when you just manipulate it in your hands, you know - not stretchy enough, then you may need to adjust the consistency of the fondant - add a little glycerine? You may have to play with it a little. HTH!

Renaejrk Im using Satin Ice, actually I went to buy that vinyl thing today, so im going to give it a shot later on.

elkinchahin Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm
post #13 of 20

thanks everyone for the great tip, Im starting to feel more comfortable.
I will tell you how it turns out

Escaliba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Escaliba Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 6:30pm
post #14 of 20

Very many thanks Renaejrk, for that clear vinyl suggestion.
Am going out to purchase some clear vinyl today!
Can certainly see why it would work so well.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:02pm
post #15 of 20

There can be VAST differences in fondants. Find one that tastes good and performs well for you. It should not crack... If I can help you in anyway, just let me know. 99.9% of the wedding cakes I make, are covered in white choc. fondant. I would start out a bit thicker if you are new, but the thinner the better with fondant in my opinion.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

elkinchahin Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:44pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

There can be VAST differences in fondants. Find one that tastes good and performs well for you. It should not crack... If I can help you in anyway, just let me know. 99.9% of the wedding cakes I make, are covered in white choc. fondant. I would start out a bit thicker if you are new, but the thinner the better with fondant in my opinion.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Thanks Alot Jennifer, I was using satin ice, it taste good, compare to Wiltons, Sorry but Wiltons Fondant taste very bad. Actually I did the Vinyl thing, well actually it was the Wiltons Roll & Cut mat, it was awesome, and I used a little shortening, OMG thank God for those.
For sure I will be asking you questions, thanks alot. Where do you get your white chocolate fondant?
~Elkin

elkinchahin Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:46pm
post #17 of 20

thanks dancingcakes and renaejrk for the tip on the vinyl and shortening...thank God for those inventions....they are my new best friends.
I will post pictures soon!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:05pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkinchahin

Quote:

Don't worry. I almost always cover two days before delivery. Typically I'd cover on Friday evening. Decorate on Saturday. Deliver on Sunday. At most, if the decorations aren't too complicated, and the event is later in the day, I'd cover on Saturday, decorate on Sunday morning for Sunday afternoon delivery.

I always keep it in a cake saver or cover with a plastic bag throughout the process to keep it soft. I think the day in between gives any problems, like bubbles, bulges, etc a chance to surface before applying decorations. It's a lot easier to deal with a big air pocket if it's not peppered with fragile flowers and smearable frosting accents.

I always like to give things a chance to settle in between each stage. Doing it this way I've NEVER had a cake slip, slide, bubble, pop or fall after delivery. And the fondant is always nice and soft.

Escaliba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Escaliba Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:49am
post #19 of 20

The fondant I use is called Regal-Ice & is wonderful to use.
I believe it is an English brand.
It works better for me than anything else I have tried.
My supplier has always been very helpful with any questions I had, specially during my first few attempts at using fonadant!
It is very interesting to read about other people's experiences with fondant & their preferences.
I find that nothing beats good old hands-on experience; every time I work with fondant I learn something new & I improve a little bit more.
If you find a good brand that works well for you, stay with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%