Help!! Cake Fail!

Decorating By missbeth5281 Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 2:54pm by DianeLM

missbeth5281 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missbeth5281 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 9

I need to know how to fix this cake quickly! Im so upset that it looks like this. I cannot give this to my friend tonight.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=116689&id=629429713&l=5bc818961d

Last night I went to put it in the fridge so I could finish decorating it today and it cracked. When I went to fix the crack a lot of the icing went over the sides and then it started sagging. Can I fix this??!?!? icon_sad.gif

8 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 9

I'm so sorry this happened. I don't see how it can be fixed without making it look worse. My advice would be to scrape off the icing and start again. icon_sad.gif

LRH41496 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LRH41496 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 9

I agree with the other poster. Scraping off and then lite crumb coat,back in to cool and then frost again. It should fix the cake. Just be careful to not scrap to much off and the cake. I hope it works out. Don't be to hard on yourself.

DianeLM Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 9

Regarding the crack that caused the problem in the first place... Did you level your layers before stacking them? In other words, did you cut off the 'hump'? If not, that's most likely what caused the cracking. If you did level your layers, then, never mind! icon_smile.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 9

Just curious, what kind of icing is it? Did you crumbcoat first and then wait before applying the final coat?

missbeth5281 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Regarding the crack that caused the problem in the first place... Did you level your layers before stacking them? In other words, did you cut off the 'hump'? If not, that's most likely what caused the cracking. If you did level your layers, then, never mind! icon_smile.gif

Yes, I cut the hump off the top, but there was still a lip around the edges. The crack happened because what I had the cake on was unfortunately not sturdy enough and bent it.

To the next person who asked if I had a crumb coat, yes.

I don't think the whole cake cracked, just the icing. I'm about to scrape off the icing on the sides and try and re-ice them. wish me luck.

(i had to work all day)

missbeth5281 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 9

THANK YOU everyone! I THINK I have it fixed! It's chilling right now so I can smooth it in a few minutes. THank you thank you thank you!
Fail:
Fix:

missbeth5281 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:46am
post #8 of 9

It was never meant to be.

Finished cake...

Unfortunately, while I was securing the cake box to a sturdy cutting board for transport, it met it's demise on my dining room floor. icon_cry.gif

DianeLM Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 9

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!

It turned out really cute, tho. Glad you got a pic before it became the dog's dessert!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%