Kinda Bummed

Business By Kitagrl Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 11:01pm by littlecake

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 19

I did a groom's cake a couple of weeks ago that was VERY challenging! It was a replica of the Penn State Nittany Lion shrine on the U campus.

I didn't get an exact replica...it was SO hard to get the 3D sculpture perfect, using styrofoam and cake, using photos to work from. By the time I was done, I felt I undercharged for all the work I went through.

Just got a notice that I got a new review on weddingwire, and it was their review. http://www.weddingwire.com/vendor/VendorViewRating

They didn't exactly say what they didn't like, but they sure were stingy with stars. What in the world???? As for cost, I'll charge them twice as much next time for the hours I spent on their cake. And as for quality of service....I am not sure what the 3.5 was for. I know I did end up shading it alot more than the real statue, just to bring the highlights out and try to make it stand out more but maybe they felt I did a sloppy job in the shading. I dunno.

Anyway so I'm kinda upset that a cake I worked so hard on brought me mediocre reviews. Grr.

18 replies
JenJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenJane Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 19

I checked it out but I wouldn't be too upset. They said all positive things plus said they would recommend you. If they weren't pleased they definitely wouldn't recommend you. I completely understand though because I am a perfectionist and it's upseting if you don't get a perfect score. icon_smile.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 19

Well, they may have taken the bad review down!! I clicked on the link and it said that I couldn't see it for one of many reasons, including that the info had been removed. Let's hope that's the case!

Anyway, I'm sorry they gave you mediocre marks. I'm sure you did a terrific job -- aren't you the same person who had the thread yesterday about being featured in an upcoming publication? If so, just keep focusing on that good news!!!

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 19

I'd be a little bummed out too. If it's the cake in your photos, you did an amazing job! I would have been thrilled to have received it! The shading looked great to me, and it really did bring out the lines/angles more.

I would just try to brush this one off, but if it really bothers you, try emailing the couple and get some feedback on why they rated you the way that they did. It might give you some insight.

Hope your day gets happy *hugs*

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 19

OK, so the marks in some areas aren't stellar, but I wouldn't say that she says one negative word. Maybe you should ask her why she marked you lower in some aspects of the scores, as a way to help you improve your 'customer service' if you are really mystified and bothered that much by it. I think your cakes are great, very creative. It's tough when people aren't 100% positive about our work, but I learnt long ago that some people will never be 100% happy no matter what you do. I do sympathise with you, been there, done that etc!

Kitagrl Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 19

http://www.weddingwire.com/vendor/VendorViewRating Try this link, the first link could have been just temporary.

I do know the side view of the cake also looked a little funny with the face...I am really picky about faces and I just could NOT get this guy's face and head shape to match the photo.

Oh well! icon_smile.gif I guess I was just kinda stressed about that particular cake and wanted it to be awesome and its a bit of a letdown. *shrugs*

MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 19

They didn't really hurt your review score and I have looked at your cakes many times, I don't know how she/they could complain about ANYTHING!! I know it is dishearting and I am still new at the cake decorating, but I am the same way over my pitiful cakes. Perk up!!

Kitagrl Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 19

BTW thanks guys for the encouraging remarks!

I don't think I'll email, as I don't think I want to hear what they didn't like. haha. I noticed in the review they mentioned the flavor of my samples but not of the cake itself. I wonder if that was alluding to the idea that maybe they were not pleased with their actual cake flavor. Hm.

Other than that....I know I didn't get it perfect and maybe they were expecting me to, or maybe they disliked the shading (the actual statue is alot more pale colored) so...oh well! Its ok. I keep telling myself even Duff has delivered cakes that I was like "Ew that doesn't look that great." haha.

lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:46pm
post #9 of 19

dont get bummed out you do beautiful work....so people just cant appreciate thetime that goes into making a cake

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:47pm
post #10 of 19

They should have to post a pic of the cake with that review......it is awesome - I don't think Duff's work is as good as yours! Some folks are just stingy with the stars and like the "power" of giving a rating.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:56pm
post #11 of 19

Kitagirl I just wanna say that all your cakes are amazing but that cake, OMG is fabulous!! Is that lion carved cake???? I think you should not lose one iota of sleep over that review, you are one talented girl!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:58pm
post #12 of 19

hmm...speaking teacher to former teacher here....

could be they are like me...hard to impress and then very conservative with praise.

as my students soon learn, to get a prefect score from me on any essay or project is almost a "hell freezes over" day. Not that they can't, but it is the rare exception reserved for those who truly have hit and exceeded the expectations. Technical perfection -- no spelling or grammar errors, etc. -- is not enough. The work must be inspiring, awe-inducing -- "hot-da*" how did they do that?"

she or he isn't by chance a teacher???? we can be SO tough on each other! icon_rolleyes.gif'

great cake.

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:00pm
post #13 of 19

Hun your stuff is fabulous... I became a vendor just to see your review and I can't icon_sad.gif

Kitagrl Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:00pm
post #14 of 19

Awww thanks! Well if you compared the cake to the real statue, you could find LOTS of mistakes in color and shape. I guess for a true Nitt fan, who knows the statue like the back of his hand, it was alot to live up to.

The grey rock was styrofoam, the brown rock was cake. Then there were dowels going up the legs to a cut wood platform...styrofoam under the platform to round out the underside of his body, and cake above the platform for the top of the head and top of the body. It was difficult to cut the styrofoam first and then do the cake, so I was sculpting the body in parts instead of all at once as a whole. So that's one reason the face messed up. I felt the shading would hide any imperfections and stuff but I think I did go overboard on that as the actual statue is only done in an ivory colored smooth cement with no shading.

jdrew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdrew Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:01pm
post #15 of 19

I think you did an awesome job!! How more real look could you get...I could only wish that was my work.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Kitagrl Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:02pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

hmm...speaking teacher to former teacher here....

could be they are like me...hard to impress and then very conservative with praise.

as my students soon learn, to get a prefect score from me on any essay or project is almost a "hell freezes over" day. Not that they can't, but it is the rare exception reserved for those who truly have hit and exceeded the expectations. Technical perfection -- no spelling or grammar errors, etc. -- is not enough. The work must be inspiring, awe-inducing -- "hot-da*" how did they do that?"

she or he isn't by chance a teacher???? we can be SO tough on each other! icon_rolleyes.gif'

great cake.

I did check out their other reviews and some were all five star and some were not...mostly complaints on cost, but a few other docked stars as well to other businesses. So yeah I guess they could have been. My husband reminded me that "3 is average".... of course I didn't think that people usually considered sculpted cake to be "average". haha.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:08pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

My husband reminded me that "3 is average".... of course I didn't think that people usually considered sculpted cake to be "average". haha.

LOL

He sounds like me talking to my students.

"C" is average -- you did, ok. ho-hum

A is you knocked over the moon -- you should be teaching the class (and grading all the papers I might add!)

yes, some of us are perfectionists (in some things!) and proud of it!

tough when person with very HIGH standards (as your cakes attest!!!!) hits up against perfections its.

MY compliment, now given to you, that always tells my students they have done very thing I expected and MORE:

YDG!!! (which is how I say it)

meaning Ya Dun Gud! (which is how I spell it!)

it breaks every rule of grammar and spelling, which should be anathema to an English teacher!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:22pm
post #18 of 19

I couldn't see the review as the page has been removed. I think people expect too much perfection these days. TV and media all project perfection and perfection of 3D sculptures in cake is not only not easy but darn near impossible. No average Joe could make that cake like you did that is for sure! You did a great job! He is actually standing up on all fours and that is pretty darn hard to get accomplished! Ok so it isn't as angular as the real deal -But it's cake people! Great job!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 11:01pm
post #19 of 19

UGH TEACHERS!...(sorry doug)...i can smell a teacher or a principle a mile away.....that's just the way they are.

i'm 51 years old, and STILL getting in trouble with the teachers i have as customers....they always seem to talk down to me....and are always trying to "teach" me something.....they would send me to detention if they could.

that cake was fierce! you should be proud....that link is no good so i guess they took it down.

but i gotta say....when i got started up, teachers really helped me get the word out after i took cakes to all the schools.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%