Freezer Not Big Enough... Uh Oh!

Decorating By annieluz Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 4:40am by Unlimited

annieluz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annieluz Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 9

Ok, so I usually freeze all my cakes before crumb coating them (makes it soooo much easier!) BUT the cake is TOO big for my freezer! I am doing a 1/2 a sheet for Saturday and wanted to baked tonight and freeze overnight to crumbcoat tomorrow...

So what should I do if the cake is too big for the freezer? Should I put it in the fridge for a little bit to cool it enough to crumb coat? i usually never refrigerate since it tends to dry out my cakes but do I really have a choice? and I haven't even checked if 1/2 a sheet will fit in my fridge! Any suggestions! THANKS!

icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieluz

BUT the cake is TOO big for my freezer!
if the cake is too big for the freezer? icon_smile.gif

Which is it? I think you're worried about nothing! Ha! A 1/2 sheet should fit in even the tiniest of side-by-side freezers, however, it may not fit in there while it's on a larger cardboard. Try cutting an extra rectangle cardboard that's the same size of the cake and stick it in the freezer or wrap it in plastic so you can handle it and slide it in. If it truly won't fit, perhaps your neighbor will let you use their freezer overnight!!! Good luck.

jenkosman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenkosman Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 9

I would let it cool to room temp then brush it with a simple syrup (also a good time to add some extra flavor) chill in the refrigerator just until cold enough to crumb coat, crumb coat, chill again until crumb coat is firm then wrap in a large bag & it should be fine!

annieluz Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 9

sorry about that Unlimited... I see what you mean by the two questions... LOL... whoops! anwyays... I am 99% sure it won't fit in the freezer... my freezer is TINY and the door doesn't open all the way due to the terrible layout of my kitchen! UGH! (can't wait to remodel!) anyways, I will see if I can fit it in, and if not, I'll take jenkosman's advice! Thanks!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Quote:

BUT the cake is TOO big for my freezer!
if the cake is too big for the freezer? icon_smile.gif

A 1/2 sheet should fit in even the tiniest of side-by-side freezers, however, it may not fit in there while it's on a larger cardboard. T

I have a side by side, and a 1/2 sheet wouldn't even come close to fitting in it! I hate my freezer! A normal cookie sheet won't fit in it, it's too narrow! I am lucky enough to have an extra fridge/freezer and a deep freeze in my garage though!

Unlimited Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:

sorry about that Unlimited... I see what you mean by the two questions... LOL... whoops! anwyays... I am 99% sure it won't fit in the freezer... my freezer is TINY and the door doesn't open all the way due to the terrible layout of my kitchen! UGH! (can't wait to remodel!) anyways, I will see if I can fit it in, and if not, I'll take jenkosman's advice! Thanks!

No apology needed... I understood your "what if?" scenario and was trying to be funny! If your door doesn't open up all the way, try tilting the cake sideways while putting it in as long as you've got the shelves spaced far enough apart to be able to maneuver it around and then leave it flat.

annieluz Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 9

ok, so i was able to squeeze in the cake and it was SO close to not fitting... BUT the cake was too long. I had to remove the shelves from the doors to be able to close the door... UGH!!!!! well, at least I got it in icon_smile.gif

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:14pm
post #8 of 9

I have gone as far as cutting the cake in half....no one can tell after icing and decorating.

Unlimited Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:40am
post #9 of 9
Quote:

ok, so i was able to squeeze in the cake and it was SO close to not fitting... BUT the cake was too long. I had to remove the shelves from the doors to be able to close the door... UGH!!!!! well, at least I got it in icon_smile.gif

YEA!!!! At least now you'll know what to do the next time you make another 1/2 sheet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%