Cardboard Cake Circles

Decorating By MAW137 Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 5:37am by djs328

MAW137 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAW137 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 19

When stacking a 4 tier cake I know to have the cakes sitting on cardboard circles. Do the circles need to be covered in foil or something when I stack them on the dowels? I am covering the cakes in fondant and then stacking. Any help would be great. I looked at You Tube and the videos did not talk about that part.

18 replies
umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 19

I think it might be personal preference, but I ALWAYS will cover my boards. It also helps the cake from sticking to the boards if they are covered.
HTH

mom2owen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2owen1 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 19

I always cover mine too. I use Glad Press n Seal.

Treena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Treena Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 19

Good question! I have only done one tier cake with the boards and did not cover them. It worked fine but I'm sure it would be good to cover them. I would suggest wax paper cut to the size of your board so that you don't see that shiny silver foil! icon_smile.gif Good luck!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 19

Maybe a dumb question - but do you all cover them top and bottom? Or do you do the wax paper on 10x sugar thing to prevent the bunchy part (on bottom of cardboard) from sticking to lower tier? I guess what I mean is when you wrap the press-n-seal around the sides of the cardboard, then you end up with all your loose ends underneath ie: not completely flat? (Did that make ANY sense?? :/)

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 19

i don't cover mine if they aren't going to be seen (in b/t layers). they are made knowing that food will sit on them and thus it's ok if you don't cover!

umgrzfn Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treena

Good question! I have only done one tier cake with the boards and did not cover them. It worked fine but I'm sure it would be good to cover them. I would suggest wax paper cut to the size of your board so that you don't see that shiny silver foil! icon_smile.gif Good luck!

This probably isn't a good idea just because it will slide around. ESPECIALLY on a stacked cake!!! When you are trying to stack it, it could slide around and you could possibley lose the cake! icon_sad.gif You would want to wrap it around the board and then stick your cake to it just as you normally would ie piping gel, BC, etc. Normally, all tiers have borders therefor you wouldn't see the silver.

umgrzfn Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

Maybe a dumb question - but do you all cover them top and bottom? Or do you do the wax paper on 10x sugar thing to prevent the bunchy part (on bottom of cardboard) from sticking to lower tier? I guess what I mean is when you wrap the press-n-seal around the sides of the cardboard, then you end up with all your loose ends underneath ie: not completely flat? (Did that make ANY sense?? :/)

Not a dumb question at all. You can cut it in such a way that it doesn't "bunch" up underneath. I'm not sure how she does it with hers, but I know I use tin foil on mine and make cuts in the bottom of it (there's a how to somewhere, I can't remember....maybe youtube) and it lays flat.
HTH

MAW137 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 19

Thanks for all the input. How many circles do you use per tier if each tier is 3 2inch cakes? Thanks again!

candice1988 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candice1988 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:16pm
post #10 of 19

I always cover mine because someone told me once that they had there tiered cake on a plain cake board and the grease from the cake and icing softened the board and the dowel rods poked through causing the cake to sag. So I always cover mine now, just in case.

djs328 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:31pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by umgrzfn

Quote:

Not a dumb question at all. You can cut it in such a way that it doesn't "bunch" up underneath. I'm not sure how she does it with hers, but I know I use tin foil on mine and make cuts in the bottom of it (there's a how to somewhere, I can't remember....maybe youtube) and it lays flat.
HTH

Gotcha...thanks - I have my first wedding cake this weekend and have done tiered/stacked cakes, but was wondering if there's a better way...makes total sense about the dowels poking thru soaked cardboards, too, that PP mentioned...it's only 3 tiers (14,10,6 square) but still....a little nervous! icon_redface.gif Fingers crossed!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:37pm
post #12 of 19

One *might* suffice if it were only 2 layers tall... use 3 layers (like for TT design and I'd definitely use two. I always use two cardboards for only 2-layer cakes because one alone can get soaked with so much B/C grease & cake oil to make it flimsy and weak let alone nasty to look at when cutting.

I put the first circle on top of the peg supports and push down (yes, don't be afraid to apply pressure as long as it's direct and even pressure across the entire board, not just one spot that may fold your board along the corrugated line, and not without direct downward pressure or you may just slide it across and misalign your pegs).

Then I put a dab of icing on that before setting the next tier of cake above (of course, the tier you are placing is already on its own cardboard circle, so that makes two cardboards total... touching one another because they are in love!)

mom2owen1 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:04pm
post #13 of 19

I apologize in advance if this was already said, I had two toddlers being very active while I was trying to read the responses icon_smile.gif Now that they are upstairs with daddy for a few minutes, I will reply.

I cover my base boards in decorative foil. Place my bottom cake on it, ice and fondant. Each other layer goes on a cardboard circle covered in Press n Seal. I don't trim it or anything and haven't had any problems with it bunching on the bottom. I stretch it around the board and I actually like that it covers the bottom of the board so it doesn't soak up grease on that side either. Not that anyone sees it, but I don't want it getting flimsy from the grease. After I cover the board, but before i put the cake on it, I press it on the table and move it around a bit to flatten the bottom. But even without doing this, it doesn't cause problems. I put the cake on the covered circle, on my turntable and ice and cover in fondant. The fondant covers the cake board so you can't see it.

I then put straws in my bottom layer for supports, a dab of icing on the top of the straw and lay my 2nd layer on. The weight of the cake is enough make a good seal.

I do this until I am done. I usually put some kind of boarder around each layer during decoration.

I think someone asked how many cake boards. I just use one per cake tier.

HTH!

MAW137 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:42pm
post #14 of 19

Thank you guys so much. I feel much more confident doing this cake now.

djs328 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:08am
post #15 of 19

Wow - CC'ers never cease to amaze me - you all are so kind and thorough!

mom2owen1 - I feel your pain! haha! I have 3 kids ages 5 and under - so I really appreciate you taking the time to type that detailed step-by-step out for us! icon_smile.gif

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:47am
post #16 of 19

I don't cover my circles, but I do use the ones with one "waxy" side.

mom2owen1 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:00am
post #17 of 19
Quote:

mom2owen1 - I feel your pain! haha! I have 3 kids ages 5 and under - so I really appreciate you taking the time to type that detailed step-by-step out for us! icon_smile.gif

sure thing! i always appreciate the help i have gotten here and try to return the favors. others responses can really help! 3 under 5 huh? do you cake after they are all in bed like i do? makes for some late nights!

kris

djs328 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:01am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2owen1

Quote:

sure thing! i always appreciate the help i have gotten here and try to return the favors. others responses can really help! 3 under 5 huh? do you cake after they are all in bed like i do? makes for some late nights!

kris

Yup....late nights is right! icon_smile.gif But it's fun for me - a chance to relieve stress!

djs328 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:37am
post #19 of 19

Ok, so I just made my first wedding cake and used the foam board with the Press-n-seal...How easy!!! Dowel went right through it all no prob! And I feel like it is so much sturdier than the cardboard. Hopefully it will be as easy to disassemble tomorrow when we serve it!
(Although I'm a dingbat...forgot to use my new little trick I learned on here: sprinkling PS on the top of the bottom tier and putting a wax paper sheet between so I don't lose the icing...oh well! Not the worst thing...will remember next time!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%