Am I Going To Be Doing This Correctly?

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm by mandysue

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 4

I am going to do my first stacked cake tonight. I have baked a pineapple, coconut cake. I baked it in a 9x13 pan. I cut it in half but not equally. I plan to put the smaller one on top and make a gift cake.

My plan is to torte both levels and fill with buttercream and coconut mixture in the middle. Frost both with a crumb coat and them a top coat with buttercream. I will then stack them on top of eachother, and decorate.

My questions are... do I need to put dowels in the lower cake. Should I put parchment paper and powedered sugar on top of the lower cake to keep the BC from sitcking. And I am correct that I should frost and then assemble.

Thanks in advance for your help!

3 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 4

Yes. Gravity takes pleasure in playing nasty little tricks on cakes.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 4

i think you are on the right track. it's not a tiered cake, just a stacked cake, so i think you can do it without dowel rodding it. i would use the wax paper/powdered sugar to save your icing.

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 4

Good luck with this....I'm concerned about your torting because I made the Pina Colada IV cake found on here (I think that's the one.) People went crazy over the flavor, but it was so moist that it was a mess to cut. Maybe the knife I used wasn't ideal. Mmmmm, it will be yummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%