How Do I Cut Plastic Dowel Rods?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 10:19pm by CakesByLJ

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 9

I bought the wilton plastic dowel rods (the white, hollow ones), and now I'm concerned about exactly HOW to cut them.

I've read about boba tea straws, but I don't want to buy a whole lot of them (like what is offered on ebay) and I don't know where I could buy only a small pack of them.

Anyways, what is the easiest way to cut them? Is it really difficult to cut them evenly? FTR, this is my first stacked cake, so it's my first time using dowels too.

Any help is appreciated. icon_smile.gif

8 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 9

I cut them with a hack saw. It is pretty fast. You just need to clean up the edges after cutting to make sure there are no loose pieces of plastic. If you don't have a hack saw, you could probably use a good serrated knife. HTH

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 9

I use a serrated knife.

Since you live in Ca, there area many places out there where you can buy boba tea straws. Try checking out Asian grocery stores. It's really cheap, even for big bags.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 9

I use the little pruners you can get a hardware store

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=248695-1078-79456933&lpage=none

One squeeze and done.

creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 9

i just use a box cutter blade its smooth cut

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNancyB

I bought the wilton plastic dowel rods (the white, hollow ones), and now I'm concerned about exactly HOW to cut them.

I've read about boba tea straws, but I don't want to buy a whole lot of them (like what is offered on ebay) and I don't know where I could buy only a small pack of them.

Anyways, what is the easiest way to cut them? Is it really difficult to cut them evenly? FTR, this is my first stacked cake, so it's my first time using dowels too.

Any help is appreciated. icon_smile.gif

If you're concerned about making sure the cut's straight, you can get an xacto miter box at your local Michael's/Joann's/AC Moore/anywhere else that sells xacto products, or at the hardware store, for less than ten bucks. You just put your blade in the slot, lay your dowel flush against the side with the mark lined up with the slot, and cut away.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 9

Oh, those are so easy to cut ... almost like cutting butter! I just use a sharp serrated knife. Quick simple and easy.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone! I think I'll just stick with them, and use a sharp serrated knife. icon_smile.gif

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 10:19pm
post #9 of 9

I cut mine with a tool from Home Depot/Lowes type store, called a pipe cutter.. It works like pruning shears, but the blade is rounded, and cuts a perfect straight cut every time...
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%