Red Icing?

Decorating By snydermeg Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 3:51pm by snydermeg

snydermeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snydermeg Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 5

I made a batch of red buttercream icing last night and I just can't seem to get it dark enough. I need it for an elmo cake so the color is pretty important. I used Wilton no-taste red and let it sit overnight, but it still isn't dark enough. Is there a type or brand of coloring that works better? I used about an ounce and a half of coloring in about 6 cups of icing. Do I just need to add more coloring? Any tips would be appreciated as this is only my second cakeicon_smile.gif

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 5

Americolor works best. But if you don't have a cake store around that carries it, you'll just have to keep using Wilton. Just keep pouring that stuff in there and eventually it will get red enough. Have fun! Getting the exact shade you want is always frustrating!

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 5

For red, I use no-taste red (wilton) & then I add Christmas Red & Red-Red to make it darker (both Wilton). I try to use more of the no-taste, but sometimes it takes all 3 to achieve the red that I want.

Confectioners_Conundrum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectioners_Conundrum Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 5

Red is one of the hardest colors to get right! It takes a whole lot of color in the icing to get it the right shade...last time I made it I think I used about 4 of those little wilton no-taste red things. I would just keep adding it till you get the shade you are looking for...and it should get darker as it sits! Good luck!

snydermeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snydermeg Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much! I got more Wilton no taste, but I also got some Americolor. Hopefully that will workicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%