Yet Another Question Regarding Ganache Vs. Buttercream

Decorating By laneycake Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 10:12pm by bashini

laneycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneycake Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 2

Hi all.

I have quite a few cakes coming up and am thinking of switching my method for fondant covered cakes. I have been reading quite a bit of information about using chocolate ganache under fondant vs. buttercream. I will admit, whenever I use buttercream, I most always have problems attaining a nice, smooth fondant outer.

My husband (who is my chief taste tester) likes a nice frosting on the outside of the cake. I have never tried ganache, but it seems to me that it would make for a 'dry' cake if there is no frosting on the outside? Am I wrong? I still torte and fill my layers, but I think there would be something missing if I just did the ganache and fondant. Can anyone give me their input or experiences? I think what I need to do is just anty up and make a test cake to see for myself. I HATE poking air pockets in my fondant. Icky. TIA!

1 reply
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 2

Hi, I make ganache and mix it with my regular buttercream and use it as my filling. You can either do a bit thicker layer on cake with that or use just ganache. One thing that I have noticed is that when you ice the cake with ganache buttercream and smooth it nicely, it crusts really well. I have used only with dark chocolate. Not with white chocolate. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%