Very Angry At Kitchenaid....a Warning To You All

Decorating By JodieF Updated 28 Dec 2014 , 5:49pm by KPSA Repair

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:47am
post #31 of 62

Hey, yeah, that sounds better. No worries. I just hate to see people get taken advantage of, whether it's a caker with a bogus customer complaint, or even big ole' Kitchen Aid. :0

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:49am
post #32 of 62

Hello....send to Marbeck Appl....
Things break, they are man made. Got knows I have put all four of mine though hell. It's 69.99!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #33 of 62

Jodie - I would bet dollars to doughnuts that KA is using an inconvenient tool or screw type. What exactly can't you get out? Do you see a screw head that is unusual? Really, I would be shocked if the tool to fix it was over $10. I'd find out just so I could mentally say"*#$*" you every time I fixed it.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a repair site, but I want to help

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:53am
post #34 of 62

Jaime.... I stand corrected. I misused my equipment and tried to abuse the system and cheat KA. Caught me, called me out and showed me how my actions could have made KA's more expensive for everyone.
Thanks!

Night all.

I would appreciate it if a moderator would please remove this thread. thumbs_up.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:59am
post #35 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

...Then, the very next day, my Kitchenaid pasta roller won't turn anymore. My DH got it for me for Christmas so it's 6 months old. I use it to roll out fondant. It's under warranty for a year. I call to get it replaced. She asks what I was rolling when it broke and I stupidly said fondant. I get a "OH, I'm sorry then, but your warranty is void". Then she generously offers to sell me a new one at a 20 % discount.
Folks, if you have an issue with their pasta roller (which I just LOVED until this point) then LIE! You were only using it for pasta dough....NO FONDANT!

I am just sick over all of this. I'll never buy a Kitchenaid product again!

Jodie

Did you already give the rep your name and serial number? If not make a fresh call and say "pasta." Sometimes they ask questions before you have to give them your personal info.

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:59am
post #36 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

Jodie - I would bet dollars to doughnuts that KA is using an inconvenient tool or screw type. What exactly can't you get out? Do you see a screw head that is unusual? Really, I would be shocked if the tool to fix it was over $10. I'd find out just so I could mentally say"*#$*" you every time I fixed it.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a repair site, but I want to help

I bet you're right. I got all kinds of weird funky tools at my shop.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:09am
post #37 of 62

Jodie, hey lady, I for one appreciate you posting the information regarding your KA problems. PLEASE don't let anyone make you feel badly for posting what has happened to you regarding any of this. Afterall, the first thing that went wrong with the KA was the gear breaking, 3 teeth missing I recall, and then the pasta roller went south. Your post and complaints are legit from this standpoint!
I hope you will continue to let us know how things transpire for you with the KA. It is things like this that help ALL OF US make better and informed decisions when making large purchases, such as the KA mixers. I have one too and prefer to be prepared if/when something goes wrong with it!!
THANK YOU! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:14am
post #38 of 62

I have had two of my Kitchen Aid mixers fixed when I stripped the gears. I cost me $40 the last time and I had no problem.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:29am
post #39 of 62

i personally would have NO PROBLEM lying if they asked me about what i was putting in there. and i am really glad you posted this because if my pasta roller ever *does* break down, i will know exactly what to say.

it stinks when you spend good money on stuff and customer service is of no help : (

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:33am
post #40 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Jodie, hey lady, I for one appreciate you posting the information regarding your KA problems. PLEASE don't let anyone make you feel badly for posting what has happened to you regarding any of this. Afterall, the first thing that went wrong with the KA was the gear breaking, 3 teeth missing I recall, and then the pasta roller went south. Your post and complaints are legit from this standpoint!
I hope you will continue to let us know how things transpire for you with the KA. It is things like this that help ALL OF US make better and informed decisions when making large purchases, such as the KA mixers. I have one too and prefer to be prepared if/when something goes wrong with it!!
THANK YOU! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Ummm, I agree with the bold type. What I don't agree with is broadcasting to the masses to bald face lie to get out of paying for something that is your own responsibility. And sorry for continuing this thread, as she politely asked for it to be removed. So who are you referring to? I have to occasionally deal with people who willfully and sometimes out of sheer dumb actions do something to a vehicle we have just worked on, completely voiding their warranty. Sometimes it's like, "what were you thinking??" So, why should my company choke down the cost of their dumb behavior? Why should my tech not get that 5 extra hours on his check for real work instead of eating the labor to redo some work that he did just fine the first time?

Sorry, sometimes I can't help but click "submit" when something is stinky.

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:43am
post #41 of 62

I was wanting to buy a pasta roller for my KA recently. I read some customer reviews of them (I don't remember what site I was on now) and many of the reviews said that although the pasta roller was metal, it had some plastic parts inside and if they broke, it could not be repaired. That was enough to keep me from buying one. I've had my Pro 6 KA for about 2 years now. I bought a refurbished one for a pretty cheap price. I really have been pleased with it. The only problem I have is that the head moves some when I am mixing something really thick.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:01am
post #42 of 62

I lied once to my phone company when I needed a new phone...I told them I dropped it in the toilet when I really dropped it in a bowl of soup!
For some reason the toilet seemed less embarassing then soup, I mean really who drops their phone in soup?
The toilet just made so much more sense, but in the end I still had to pay my 50$ deductable.
I still wonder if it smelled like chicken and stars when they opened it up to check for "water"damage?

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:10am
post #43 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

I lied once to my phone company when I needed a new phone...I told them I dropped it in the toilet when I really dropped it in a bowl of soup!
For some reason the toilet seemed less embarassing then soup, I mean really who drops their phone in soup?
The toilet just made so much more sense, but in the end I still had to pay my 50$ deductable.
I still wonder if it smelled like chicken and stars when they opened it up to check for "water"damage?

icon_lol.gif Hey, who dumps chicken noodle soup in their hair before a PSA commercial shoot and has to make sure the camera is only on their right side so no one sees bits of carrots and noodles stuck in their braids??? (oh, whoops.....me!) Hey, I was like 10 years old. icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

swe3ts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swe3ts Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:58am
post #44 of 62

Ok so my hubby bought me the 6quart pro mixer about 3 years back. Anyways I have only used it to mix cake batter, butter cream and whipped cream. Well a few months back I went to mix up come cake batter and the beaters would not mix you could hear the motor was fine. Let me stress I have never used it for anything heavier than a thick butter cream. Well I went to a repair site and found that this machine even though marketed as a pro or heavy duty machine is built with a plastic transmission housing which tends to crack over time which causes the gears to break. Apperantly KA knows about this and if you are still under warrenty will replace it free of charge and with a metal transmission housing. Why do they not use the quality product in the first place well I would say they want it to last just until your warrenty expires so you will have to have it fixed and hey they make the money right since you have to send it in to a KA service station. And this is excatly what happend to my KA for I took it apart and the transmission housing does have a crack.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:10am
post #45 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

icon_lol.gif Hey, who dumps chicken noodle soup in their hair before a PSA commercial shoot and has to make sure the camera is only on their right side so no one sees bits of carrots and noodles stuck in their braids??? (oh, whoops.....me!) Hey, I was like 10 years old. icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

It's the begining of a global take over by canned soup!
Seems harmless enough when you buy it, how can anything that is condensed be dangerous?
But thats how they draw you in and before you know it you're phoneless and being filmed covered in noodles and mumbling something about toilets under your breath...

friendtilthend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
friendtilthend Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:37am
post #46 of 62

I am sorry to hear about all your problems. I started having problems with mine about 12 months after I received it. I got it as a gift from my mother. She bought it at Bed Bath and beyond. It was no longer under warranty and was going to cost $40.00 just to have them look at it. I took it back to the store in my area and they gave me a new one. No questions asked.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:34pm
post #47 of 62

Whenever I have a problem like this, I write a detailed and thorough letter to the President or CEO of the parent company. I explain everything as clearly as possible, including the resolution I would like to see. No whining...just the facts, ma'am. In your case, I would tell them that you bought the roller attachment for fondant rolling, as you did not read anywhere that that would void the warranty. I would also mention the phone rep's glee at announcing "Voided Warranty!" I would tell all.

I also mention that I will be purchasing future products from their competitors if I do not receive a satisfactory outcome. Then I mention all the people I will tell about the faulty product and customer service; or the wonderful service I received from the CEO when I had a problem. I also mention a time frame (I will be looking for a new mixer at the end of the month....)
I thank them for taking the time to answer my letter, and I keep the entire letter very business-like.
It also wouldn't hurt to write a letter to the CEO of the company that owns the store at which you purchased the mixer. Heck, send a letter to anyone remotely connected to the issue. A little humor doesn't hurt either.
I have had great success with this method. I even got a phone call--and subsequent great customer service-- from the president of a large furniture manufacturing company. My kids jumped on their beds (although they never admitted it, and I never caught them at it) and broke them. I just knew! That voided the warranty on the beds which were marketed for kids. The phone rep gleefully said, "Voided Warranty!" I explained all that in my letter, and the president had the beds repaired free of charge. And he was very understanding.
If you take the time to write, people will notice.
Why don't you give it a try? You have nothing to lose but the cost of a stamp.

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:56pm
post #48 of 62

I agree with this. I had heck with my dishwasher several years ago. While it was still in warranty, they came out and fixed it. Well, about 3 weeks after it went out of warranty, the same thing broke on it. I called Sears and couldn't get any help. All they could say was that they were sorry, but now it was out of warranty and they couldn't help me unless I paid so much money. I was TICKED!!! I ended up emailing the president of Sears every day until I got a response from him!! End of story...Sears came back out and repaired my dishwasher free of charge! And when it happened again a few months later there was miraculously a recall on the part that was blowing...go figure!

Anyway, I would put some pressure on them to do the right thing. As far as the pasta roller, if it says somewhere that you should not use it to roll anything aside from pasta, then I'm afraid you are out of luck...it's not their fault that you used it for fondant (and I do think it's asinine to not be able to use it for fondant). If the tacky rep said that it voided your warranty, then you can be pretty sure that it's written somewhere in your paperwork not to use it for anything except pasta.

I'm sorry you're having this trouble. It stinks to buy what you think is going to be a long-lasting quality product only to find that it's not holding up well. I hope you get an acceptable resolution to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Whenever I have a problem like this, I write a detailed and thorough letter to the President or CEO of the parent company. I explain everything as clearly as possible, including the resolution I would like to see. No whining...just the facts, ma'am. In your case, I would tell them that you bought the roller attachment for fondant rolling, as you did not read anywhere that that would void the warranty. I would also mention the phone rep's glee at announcing "Voided Warranty!" I would tell all.

I also mention that I will be purchasing future products from their competitors if I do not receive a satisfactory outcome. Then I mention all the people I will tell about the faulty product and customer service; or the wonderful service I received from the CEO when I had a problem. I also mention a time frame (I will be looking for a new mixer at the end of the month....)
I thank them for taking the time to answer my letter, and I keep the entire letter very business-like.
It also wouldn't hurt to write a letter to the CEO of the company that owns the store at which you purchased the mixer. Heck, send a letter to anyone remotely connected to the issue. A little humor doesn't hurt either.
I have had great success with this method. I even got a phone call--and subsequent great customer service-- from the president of a large furniture manufacturing company. My kids jumped on their beds (although they never admitted it, and I never caught them at it) and broke them. I just knew! That voided the warranty on the beds which were marketed for kids. The phone rep gleefully said, "Voided Warranty!" I explained all that in my letter, and the president had the beds repaired free of charge. And he was very understanding.
If you take the time to write, people will notice.
Why don't you give it a try? You have nothing to lose but the cost of a stamp.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:52pm
post #49 of 62

I told the furniture company CEO that my kids had jumped on the bed, even though that was considered mis-use of the product. I told him that the beds were marketed for use by kids. I said I jumped on the bed as a kid, and that I was sure he jumped on the bed as a kid, too. He said he did, and he got my point. Kids jump on beds, and beds for kids should withstand it. He agreed. Free repairs!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm
post #50 of 62

I think a lot of manufacturers these days use cheaper quality parts. One for the fact of keeping the prices of the items they sell down, and two so that the stuff breaks down and they can make money on either repairs or new equipment. Its sad to say that they do that but if they made things too well then no one would be buying new ones and their business would fail. Not that I agree with it, but that is just life I guess.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:09pm
post #51 of 62

i may be sorry for posting this but. here goes......i intentially put fondant through my pampered chef cookie press. it looks like a fondant press, shouldn't it work like one. i knew fondant was stiffer than pressed cookie dough, but i wanted to see if it would work....it did not....the plunger broke. Now it sound like some of you think Pamperd chef should replace my expensive press. No they shouldn't I ran the risk that it would break when i used it incorrectly. I threw it away and said to my self, that was really stupid of you.

now the mixer....i learned recently that i need to stop of each speed instead of just dialing it up to high. this was told to me by a lady who just had hers fixed for stripping the gears....i know now to do this, do i always do this no. If I damage it, who's fault is it? MIne, who should pay for the repairs? Me

What is someone damages one of your cakes after you deliver it? I read a thread the other day where people said they would charge and they would not fix it for free, how different is this from people wanting companies to fix their broken stuff for free when it is misused.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:32pm
post #52 of 62

Good point hammer1. KA should have a pasta machine that is specifically for fondant. But as far as the Pro Mixer not doing what its suppose to, having problems with doing what its meant to, then that IS KA's problem and they should fix it for free. As long as it was used as it was intended to that is. And on the mixer directions is specifically says to not wash any of the parts in the dishwasher. Their porcelain. So I can see why they shouldnt be used in the dishwasher!

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #53 of 62

I recently had the same problem with the pasta roller. Broke the day I received it- first time I used it. I too, stupidly, said I was using it for fondant and when the guy tried to say it was only warrantied if it broke during making pasta I lit him up. Needless to say they replaced it at no charge. Call them back and tear into them. Fondant is sugar dough same as wheat dough. Soon as I (being honest) said fondant and they tried to pull that I wanted to kick myself. I mean it was the first time I used it and it should not have broke. Fondant is sweet pasta dough so you are not lying. Good luck.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:45pm
post #54 of 62

Just to be perfectly clear, I am NOT complaining that my KA mixer needs a new gear. It happens. I think it should have lasted more than 3 years and the quality has gone down from when Hobart owned the company, but, it happens. I have not abused my mixer in any way. I have owed KA's for 24 years. I do think it stinks that KA has manufactured their products with specialized tools so no one but an authorized dealer can work on them, and so they can basically charge whatever they want for repairs. That was my complaint regarding my mixer.

Fondant is just as soft as pasta dough. There is no reason it would damage the pasta roller. You can hear a broken piece rattling inside. If I had known that it wasn't allowed, I wouldn't have purchased it for that purpose. I do not have $80 to waste. I got out the box and book for the pasta roller and there is NOTHING that says it can only be used for pasta dough. Nothing...not one word. But, KA is using that as an excuse to not honor their warranty. Fine, so be it. My choice is to no longer purchase KA products.

I simply wanted to warn the MANY members here who use the KA pasta roller for fondant and gumpaste about this. I have been accused of trying to cheat KA, and of being a cause of most of the problems in society (although that post was edited and that removed, but not before I saw it). After being insulted, I was very polite, although I will admit to sarcasm in admitting guilt to everything I was supposedly guilty of.

I am only posting now for clarification, not to start anything else. You may agree or disagree with me and my motives. I know I'm an honest person. No one has the right to debate that here because you don't know me. I started this thread with good intentions and I thank those of you who appreciated that I did. I don't intend to respond again.

Have a great day everyone.

Jodie

jillangel Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:58pm
post #55 of 62

I too had went through the whole book and no where did it state "pasta dough only". My other point being if you were making a sweet dessert pasta to be covered with chocolate sauce. 'Pasta' dough with sugar added. Isn't this essentially fondant? I don't think it is unreasonable or that I am cheating Kitchen Aid by expecting this product to work for a sweet pasta/ sugar dough. Never was it my intention to be deceitful or dishonest but I am not being ripped off $80 either. OP I am totally with you on this. icon_wink.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:10pm
post #56 of 62

My KA broke so I feel your pain. I just hate the fact that some people get a new replacement and some people don't.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 11:11pm
post #57 of 62

y are you upset that kitchen aid has void your warranty? you were using it for something other than pasta. in everything that has a warranty it tell you that the warranty is only good under a certain kind of usage... unfortunately for us..fondant isnt pasta. icon_sad.gif

hope you dont right off kitchen aid all together. maybe you can try and call back and fib. you wont get the same operator.

jillangel Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:32am
post #58 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgjam22

y are you upset that kitchen aid has void your warranty? you were using it for something other than pasta. in everything that has a warranty it tell you that the warranty is only good under a certain kind of usage... unfortunately for us..fondant isnt pasta. icon_sad.gif

hope you dont right off kitchen aid all together. maybe you can try and call back and fib. you wont get the same operator.

[/b

Sorry I have to disagree with this. When I said I used mine for fondant the customer service rep said it is only warrantied for pasta. So I explained to him exactly what fondant is. He is trained to answer the phone and had no idea what fondant is. First I had a definition of pasta being a generic term used to refer to dough. Fondant is a sweet dough. I also had a number of recipes for sweet pasta dough with the same ingredients as fondant. It all boils down to different interpretations of terms. Fondant in my cooking textbooks is a poured fondant. When I say 'icing' I could be referring to a number of different things. If I was wrong why did KitchenAid send me a new roller under warranty? It's not my birthday. All this talk of fibbing and lying irks me as if to imply I was trying to get one over on this company. If I was using it to crush ice yes I void the warranty but seriously- fondant is dough whether you call it pasta dough or not. I am completely serious when I don't get where people don't see that it is the same.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:50am
post #59 of 62

I don't have $80 to waste, I bought a pasta machine you use by hand at hobby lobby with a coupon for $10!! I LOVE my KA! Bought refurbished 9 years ago, works great! Forgot to lock bowl in once and scratched it all up, almost puked, literally!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #60 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

I'm so angry right now I could just spit and I hardly ever get angry. Over the weekend my Kitchenaid Pro 6 broke. We took off the top and there's a gear that's missing 3 teeth. I know it's not under warranty (3 years old) but called around to get it fixed. Turns out Kitchenaid makes their mixers with their own set of tools, so no one else but them can work on them. The authorized dealer tells me I have to bring them $100 CASH for them to even look at it! But, they're SO kind and said the $100 would apply to the repair if I choose to have it fixed.

Then, the very next day, my Kitchenaid pasta roller won't turn anymore. My DH got it for me for Christmas so it's 6 months old. I use it to roll out fondant. It's under warranty for a year. I call to get it replaced. She asks what I was rolling when it broke and I stupidly said fondant. I get a "OH, I'm sorry then, but your warranty is void". Then she generously offers to sell me a new one at a 20 % discount.
Folks, if you have an issue with their pasta roller (which I just LOVED until this point) then LIE! You were only using it for pasta dough....NO FONDANT!

I am just sick over all of this. I'll never buy a Kitchenaid product again!

Jodie

I don't think that KA has anything to do with what an authorized dealer charges. They just allow them to fix their products, they don't regulate their prices. It's totally up to you to find a dealer that seems more reasonable to you.
As far as the fondant in the roller...They probably don't have a clue what fondant is, so of course they will say the warranty is void. I don't condone lying, but you could heed the previous advice posted about explaing how it is technically a dough and see if they will work with you.

I had a 4 qt KA for 13 years...never an issue. Then, I got a 6 qt for Christms a couple of yrs. ago and it broke after 6 months. KA replaced it promptly with hardly a question, so I have to say my experience has been positive with their customer service.
Try the letter writing as previously suggested & best of luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%