Future 3 Tiered Fondant Cake In Hot Georgia Sun -Am I Crazy?

Decorating By wrightway777 Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm by cathyscakes

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:41am
post #1 of 6

Yep, I've got a big cake due next Thurs in a covered tent...on top of a parking garage (big corporate lunch). I really dont want to resort to doing the crusting buttercream. Any words of encouragement or tips to help stoke me to stick with fondant (I use Satin Ice)? I must say that this past week has been stifling hot down here.

5 replies
diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:43am
post #2 of 6

I've done plenty of outdoor wedding cakes in fondant with no trouble but would NEVER agree to do a buttercream cake for an outdoor occasion in the heat of the summer!! thumbs_up.gif

wrightway777 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:09am
post #3 of 6

ahhh that makes me feel better but I happened to notice that you are in Colorado where I reside in a humidity sauna aka The South. Theres a "buttercream" recipe out there that is more friendly to humidity but its mostly if not all crisco - it could take a bullet and tastes like it too (IMO). icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:32am
post #4 of 6

Have you tried Indydebi's buttercream? It is all crisco but it doesn't taste anything like that all-crisco Wilton recipe, if that's what you were thinking of.

Anyhow, the last few weekends I have been making cakes and taking them across town in the afternoon in my car without AC to see what would happen. The fondant doesn't seem to melt at all but I've had one issue with the buttercream underneath sliding off the cake and making a bulge at the base of the cake. That was a thick layer of buttercream under the fondant. My other practice was with a thin layer of buttercream that had crusted well before I put the fondant on, and it held up fine. I think it was about 98 degrees outside when I took it for a 40 minute drive.

My husband used to work for a museum that had events in gigantic tents throughout the summer, and they usually used portable air conditioners in the tents. Do you know if they're using one at the event you're

wrightway777 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Have you tried Indydebi's buttercream? It is all crisco but it doesn't taste anything like that all-crisco Wilton recipe, if that's what you were thinking of.

Anyhow, the last few weekends I have been making cakes and taking them across town in the afternoon in my car without AC to see what would happen. The fondant doesn't seem to melt at all but I've had one issue with the buttercream underneath sliding off the cake and making a bulge at the base of the cake. That was a thick layer of buttercream under the fondant. My other practice was with a thin layer of buttercream that had crusted well before I put the fondant on, and it held up fine. I think it was about 98 degrees outside when I took it for a 40 minute drive.

My husband used to work for a museum that had events in gigantic tents throughout the summer, and they usually used portable air conditioners in the tents. Do you know if they're using one at the event you're

great tips, I will make sure the crusting BC layer underneath is thin. My Crusting BC is a nice tasting one (mix of butter and crisco) with creme bouquet or Butavan. Is yours Indydebi's (that you've been using under the fondant)?
Hats off to you for riding around in this crazy heat!!!
I am sooo going to ask about the portable AC - thanks!!!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 6

I was wondering about this. I knew fondant would hold up better, but what about the buttercream underneath. I have watched it happen on cake shows, where the fondant goes sliding in the heat, so I have been worried about both. I have 3 outdoor weddings this summer and was worried about what to do. I will do as you say, put a thin layer of buttercream under the fondant and I think I will go with an all shortening buttercream. thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%