Bc Vs Fondant - What Are Your Price Variations

Business By rharris524 Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 2:47pm by froglover

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 7

The trend seems to be to charge more for fondant. Is that to cover the cost differences or do you find it more difficult to work with or b/c it is trendier? Really, I don't think that is much more money (using MMF) and it is, IMHO, so much easier to create beautiful cakes. And don't get me started on handling and stacking. A fondant cake takes far less time for me to perfect...shouldn't that be considered into the price? Would it be odd for me to charge the same for fondant and BC or even charge more for BC?

6 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 7

I know a man in TN that charges more for BC, because of the exact same reason. It's harder to get the BC perfect.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 7

I think that most of the time people charge more because it cost more for the fondant. Even if you are making it home made it still costs more money and that money adds up. Have you priced your homemade fondant?

I personally wouldn't charge more for buttercream than fondant cause it takes you longer or more work to get it smooth.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 7

I personally charge more because of the amount of work involved with rolling it.. putting it on.. smoothing.. it does take longer. I always put BC under my fondant so essentially you are getting BC and fondant.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgirl

I personally charge more because of the amount of work involved with rolling it.. putting it on.. smoothing.. it does take longer. I always put BC under my fondant so essentially you are getting BC and fondant.

And that was going to be my point also. They are getting my BC iced cake .... PLUS .... fondant on top of it. If I buy fondant, I have the cost of the fondant; if I make fondant, I have the labor/payroll cost of the time involved (don't tell me you dont' have payroll .... if you expect to make money on this cake, then YOU are your payroll.)

I believe there are a few CC'ers who charge more for BC because they dont' want to make BC. Pretty smart pricing incentive to get them to buy the one you prefer making! thumbs_up.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 7

and dont forget kneading colour into fondant to cover a whole wedding cake, thats alot of work in itself right there, thats a day you can miss the gym!! its like buying a cotton dress or a silk one, the one that looks and feels better costs more.

froglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froglover Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 7

a few weeks ago we had a 5 tier bc cake with a fondant ribbon going up the sides. The bc wasnt icing smooth for some reason and we weren't liking this cake to begin with. It was the last cake to be delivered and my partner hit the breaks too hard and it came crashing down. (this is the 1st time this has EVER happened to us) so we brought it in and started scrapping icing off. We decided to fondant cover it and then redecorate the way it was before only fondant instead of bc. (We though it much faster to fondant than try to get the bc smooth again in a hurry.) The bottom tier was not stable enuf to hold the rest of the cakes so we made this one a kitchen cake and the 2nd cake turned out much prettier than the 1st. We were going to offer bride at least 1/2 back if not full refund but they refused said they loved the cake it was beautiful and the mil said she tried to talk her out of 5 tiers so they weren't even mad about it missing a layer because the servings stayed the same with the kitchen cake. All turned out well. My point is we have changed our pricing now because of this cake. it was at least .50 more for fondant but we have decided it looks better and we don't spend nearly the amount of time on it as bc so it is now the same price bc or fondant. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%