Question About Chocolate Transfers And Wax Paper

Decorating By CMBX2MOM Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 10:10pm by CMBX2MOM

CMBX2MOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMBX2MOM Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 3

I made my sons Backyardigans birthday cake and did chocolate transfer for the figures. I just bought the pre-colored chocolate melts. I decided to outline using the brown milk chocolate melts and they dried kind of weird on the wax paper. Some of the brown outline looked like it had either faded or that some wax came off the paper or something. But it only happened to a few of the characters. Not sure if you can see it in the picture, but it's most evident on Tasha ( the yellow hippo) and Pablo (the blue penguin). Anyone have any input? I did not notice it at all with the colored chocolate melts..just the brown. I was wondering if the chocolate was too hot and melted some of the wax paper off or something???

* the Backyardigans cake in my photos

2 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:53am
post #2 of 3

Yes, your candy melts probably got too hot.

Even though they're not real chocolate (and don't require tempering), they can get a dusky film when set up if they've been overheated. I suppose some of the wax could have come up, too.

To be honest, wax paper isn't the best for doing chocolate transfers. Chocolate takes on the shine of what it's put on, so the shinier the transfer surface, the better. The best material is mylar or shiny sheet plastic (like report covers)' These materials are less reactive to heat, don't wrinkle easily, and the chocolate just releases much easier.

HTH
Rae

CMBX2MOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMBX2MOM Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 3

ok thanks. I'll try to remember to use something else next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%