Swirls - Lots Of Questions!

Decorating By babeebk Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 5:36pm by bashini

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 2

I have a wedding cake this weekend where the client has request swirlies that creep up the sides of a four tier cake. I found something similar on the Cake Nouveau website. (see image below). I'd like the swirls to have a 3-d effect but I'd like to attach them to the cake itself where as this looks like one piece resting on the front of the cake. My cake will be four white tiers (6,8,10,12 and airbrushed with super pearl) with royal blue swirlies painted with blue lustre dust.

I have a few questions.

- Should I make the swirlies ahead of time, paint them and then attach them to the cake? or should I make them and attach them as I go so that the shape is molded to the cake itself?

- Should I attach using royal icing or gum glue?

- Do I need to make the swirls on wire?

- I'd like the swirls to look more "collette"-like. Should these be made from fondant or gumpaste or a combination of both:

- And I'd like my swirls to meet at the top in a bit of a heart shape.

Can someone please help me?!?

Thanks so much!

1 reply
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 2

Hi, first I would use mix of fondant and gumpaste. And make it the time and attach to the cake as you go with royal icing. What colour are you going to do the swirls? I would precolour it and make the swirls. Because painting them is a bit of a mess.

I guess you can use wire as well, but I can't figure out how I could do that. So not much of a help. Sorry!

icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%